The Carroll College Talking Saints have won or shared the Northwest Forensics Conference championship for 30 consecutive years. They compete nationally and globally, with yearly travel to Canada and occasional travel places like to Oxford and Cambridge. Students regularly qualify for the national championships in debate and individual events.
The Talking Saints offer scholarships in debate, speech and interpretation and welcome students without experience in fields such as pre-law and communication.
The Carroll College forensics team was started in the 1940s and has witnessed many changes in the lives of students, as well as the college. Competing in debate, platform speaking, and interpretation events, the members of the Carroll College Talking Saints have consistently excelled in tournaments across the country. More importantly, participation on the team provides an opportunity to build career goals, develop interpersonal skills, and build relationships that will last a lifetime.
More importantly, participation on the team provides an opportunity to build career goals, develop interpersonal skills, and build relationships that will last a lifetime.
The Carroll College Forensics team competes in the Northwest Region, which is composed of the schools of Montana, Idaho, Alaska, Washington, and Oregon. During the course of the year, members of the team attend an average of ten tournaments, competing not only within the region, but on the national level as well.
The Carroll College team, although directed towards success, puts many values above winning. The team members must maintain high academic standards to compete for the squad, and grades are always more important than travel. The Forensics team itself, although competitive, has developed a family orientation, allowing the team to become close to one another in times of trouble.
The program is coached by Professor Brent Northup, who also heads the Communication Department at Carroll.
- Carroll College Talking Saints Amass Year-End Awards
- National Championship for the Talking Saints is Cancelled
- The Road to Nationals for Talking Saints
- Talking Saints Make It 31 Straight
- Talking Saints Score Big and Make the Most of Virtual Tournaments
- Virtual Tournaments Open up International Opportunities for Talking Saints
- Talking Saints Newsletter: October 2020
- Newest Talking Saints Find Success with Virtual Tournaments
- Talking Saints Participate in “Make-up Nationals”
- Carroll Talking Saints Compete in Japan Virtually
- Talking Saints' Michael Fuller named All American
- Talking Saints Win 30th Straight Regional Title
- Carroll Students Finalists in National Media Competition
- Talking Saints Perform Well at Western US Championships
- Talking Saints Wrap Up Semester with Strong Showing
- Talking Saints Garner 30 Awards
- Talking Saints Begin Promising Season
- Talking Saints Win in Advance of National Championships
- Regional Crown Recipients for 28th Straight Year
- First-Year Talking Saints Shine in Oregon
- Carroll Talking Saints Clean Up in Wyoming
- Talking Saints Take on Three Cities & Two Countries
- Talking Saints Win on Home Turf
- Nine Talking Saints Headed to National Speech and Debate Championships
- Carroll College Talking Saints Take First in Regional Championships
- Carroll Talking Saints Take Third Out of Thirty in Tournament
- First-Year Talking Saints Dominate Competition
- Talking Saints Compete Both Nationally and Internationally
- Talking Saints Receive Recognition for 2015-2016 Season
- Talking Saints Continue to Rack Up Wins
- Carroll forensics team dominate debate
- Talking Saints Share Regional Crown for 26th Straight Year
- Carroll Talking Saints Off to Nationals
- Carroll Talking Saints finish with national awards
- Talking Saints Share Regional Crown for 25th Straight Year
- Talking Saints off to another winning season
- Talking Saints take gold in world debate
- Carroll College Talking Saints excel at world debate
- Talking Saints Make it Year 23 for Northwest Championship Title
- Forensics Strong Finish in First Year of World Debate