Transferable Coursework

Working on a transferable AA or AS?

Students transferring to Carroll with an earned transferable AA or AS (post - secondary work only) will have fulfilled the core requirements. The only core classes required of students transferring with an AA or AS are TH 101 and one philosophy class. If students have taken a philosophy course, then the philosophy requirement will have been met and only TH 101 will be required in addition to the major requirements and completing a total (including transfer work) of 122-semester credits for the Carroll BA or BS.  Students obtaining an AA or AS as part of their high school curriculum are not considered to be transfer students and will not have fulfilled the core requirements at Carroll; these  courses will be considered to be advanced standing and not transfer work. 

Transferring from the Montana University System?

See what will transfer: Montana Two-Year College Transfer Guide

  • Accounting 2+2+1 (AS from the MUS + BA at Carroll + MACC at Carroll) for Montana University System Transfer Students--qualifies students to sit for the CPA exam.
  • Business 2+2 (AS from the MUS + BA at Carroll) for Montana University System Transfer Students

Transfer Credit Policy

Any student who has attempted 19 or more college semester credit hours after graduating from high school is considered to be a transfer student at Carroll College.  Students pursuing college credits while in secondary school are considered freshmen for admission purposes and these students will have advanced standing at Carroll as per our transfer of credit policy below.  Carroll accepts credits from regionally accredited colleges and universities. 

Transfer of Credit Policy:  

  • You must have earned a C- or better in an academic course that is college level (100 level or higher at most institutions) to earn transfer credit at Carroll.
  • Generally, we will not accept ESL, professional or vocationally-oriented courses.
  • A maximum of 62 lower-level semester or 93 quarter credits can be transferred to Carroll. This includes any credit granted for Advanced Placement exam scores, International Baccalaureate exam scores, and any credit allowed for military service.
  • Any post-secondary coursework taken within 15 years of being admitted or readmitted to the College will be included in the transfer analysis. Please note that the nursing program requires coursework to have been taken within the last 5 years.
  • At least one-half of the credits required for your chosen major or minor must be earned at Carroll.
  • Courses which are transferable, but do not meet Core or major requirements, will be credited as elective credits and will be counted toward the total number of credits needed for graduation.
  • An official evaluation of your transcript(s) and credits will be provided to you after you are admitted to Carroll.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP) Policy

CLEP may enable Carroll students to receive college credit for what they already know, to bypass introductory courses, or to fulfill Carroll College Core Curriculum or major and program requirements. Using CLEP credit to fulfill major and program requirements requires the approval of the department chairperson. Students will not receive credit for courses whose content is at a lower level than what they have already completed at Carroll College. See the Carroll College CLEP Policy