Transfer Students

Students Walking on Campus

Taking Applications for Fall 2024

Carroll College still has openings for students hoping to transfer in the Fall of 2024. Applicants can expect an admission decision within 2-3 weeks and still have access to full scholarship packages. Contact our Admission Office at to set up a tour, learn about what credits will transfer, create a degree plan, and become a Saint.

👏 Have you already been admitted to Carroll College for Fall 2024? 👏

Visit the Admitted Transfer Student page

Carroll College: The Top Transfer School in Montana!

Phi Theta Kappa Transfer Honor Roll badgeThe Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) Honor Society has named Carroll College to its 2023 Transfer Honor Roll, which identifies the top four-year colleges and universities, creating dynamic pathways to support transfer students. Carroll was one of 112 colleges and universities awarded this distinction nationwide and the only institution from Montana.

Continuing your collegiate journey

Carroll is committed to making your transfer experience to Carroll as smooth and streamlined as possible. We also commit to affordability and value to help you reach your goals. 

Please note that students who take any college credits as part of their high school curriculum are not considered transfer students;  they are considered to be first-year students with advanced standing credits. 

Transfer Application Checklist and Deadlines

Application Checklist

  • Submit the Carroll Application  or the Common Application
  • Submit transcripts from ALL institutions attended after high school graduation (unofficial transcripts in PDF accepted for admission consideration, but final, official transcripts are required for posting transfer credit)
  • A letter of recommendation can be submitted, but it is not required
  • Submit your FAFSA to 002526

Application Deadlines

For admission in the fall semester:
  • Regular Decision Deadline: June 15
  • Rolling Admission: August 1
  • Nursing (fall entrance only) application deadline:  May 1 (please see the transfer nursing page for more details on how to apply for nursing and the pre-requisites required for admission consideration)
  • Class registration begins in April.  You must be a deposited student to start this process. Once you have deposited, an Accedemic Questionaire (AQ) will be emailed to you. After you have completed the AQ. Please sign up to participate in one of our registration events
For admission in the spring semester:
  • Regular Decision Deadline: November 15
  • Rolling Admission: December 1
  • Class registration begins in early December 

Transfer of Credits Policy

One of the most important considerations for transfer students is knowing what credits will transfer to Carroll. We accept up to 62 lower division semester credits (93 quarter credits) from regionally accredited colleges and universities, as long as you’ve earned a C- or better in 100-level (or higher) college courses.  Carroll can transfer up to two semester credits of physical education courses.  We're happy to take a look at your official or unofficial transcripts after you have completed the application process to provide more information about how long it might take to finish your degree at Carroll.   Please note that students taking dual enrollment credits during high school are not considered to be transfer students, but the transfer of credits policy remains the same.  

Transfer Inquiries

(406) 447-4336 or

Carroll College is committed to ensuring equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, national origin, or ethnic origin. No qualified individual is excluded from admission or participation in any educational program, activity, or facility by reason of disability, provided the individual can properly perform with reasonable accommodation.

Transfer Student Housing

Helena is Montana’s beautiful capital city – a friendly arts community with historic character and spectacular mountain views.  It’s an incredible place to live and recreate. Whether you’re moving from out-of-state or from another city in Montana, the Helena Chamber of Commerce relocation guide includes information you will find helpful.

A variety of housing opportunities exist for transfer students interested in living on or off campus. All full-time Carroll College students who are under the age of 21 are required to reside on-campus for three years. If you are 21 or have lived on another school’s campus for at least three years, you may choose to live off campus. 

You can choose from one of our four residence halls or our on-campus apartments. Availability for on-campus housing is limited, so we recommend contacting our Community Living office as soon as you can

There are a number of helpful resources available to students looking for a place to live off-campus.  Please note that Carroll does not endorse one company over another. Helena Craigslist is a great place to start your search.  Other resources include Trulia - Rentals in HelenaZillow - Carroll College Rentals, and Hotpads - Helena Rentals. Many homeowners near campus list their properties on Craigslist and welcome the inquiry of Carroll students. Also, this list provides the contact information for the Helena area property management companies and apartment complexes. Once you have enrolled at Carroll, you will be able to log-in to the MyCarroll home page. Periodically students and faculty list available homes in the “Carroll Classified” section.

The City of Helena has an area of only 16.39 square miles—so, geographically nothing is too far away from Carroll’s campus. Many Carroll students living off-campus walk or bike to school, but if you live off campus you shouldn’t expect more than a ten-minute drive.

Yes. Nearly 40 percent of the student body lives off campus. That said, Carroll takes seriously its goal of fostering a strong campus community that is inclusive of the entire student body. Carroll has a number of organizations on campus that host events throughout the year. Many of the weekends are marked by swing-dances, movie screenings, sporting events, and entertainment, all of which is open to the entire campus community.