Yellow Ribbon Program

What is the Yellow Ribbon Program?

Carroll College is honored to be a Yellow Ribbon Institution and a 2021-2022 Military Friendly School! The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program) is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. The Post-9/11 GI Bill® will pay up to $26,381.37 for your tuition and fees during the 2022-2023 academic year. Under the Yellow Ribbon agreement, Carroll will then contribute up to 50% of the remaining tuition and fee expenses, and the Department of Veterans Affairs will match that amount. This means your entire tuition and fees will be paid for at Carroll! As a veteran, spouse or dependent, using VA educational benefits you may be eligible to receive a Saint Michael Merit Scholarship. The Department of Veterans Affairs will also pay you a monthly housing allowance of $1,233 a month and up to $1,000 stipend for books & supplies. Get more detailed information about the Yellow Ribbon Program .

The Post-9-11 GI Bill® Yellow Ribbon Entitlement

Who is Eligible?

Only individuals entitled to the maximum benefit rate-100% (based on service requirements) may receive Yellow Ribbon benefits. We strongly encourage you to review the eligibility criteria directly from the VA's website

The general eligibility requirements for the Yellow Ribbon Program include:

  • Student served an aggregate period of active duty after September 10, 2001, of at least 36 months
  • Student was honorably discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability and you served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001
  • Student is a dependent eligible for Transfer of Entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill® based on a veteran's service under the eligibility criteria listed above

Graduate Students (Masters of Social Work Program) - Yellow Ribbon Program

Currently, Carroll College is accepting two recipients of the Yellow Ribbon Program in the Masters of Social Work Program (MSW) per academic year. Students must remain eligible to receive benefits under the Post 9/11 GI-BIll® at 100% to remain eligible to receive Yellow Ribbon benefits for the MSW program. The Master of Accountancy Graduate Program (MACC) does not have seats available for Yellow Ribbon Program recipients. Yellow Ribbon Program benefits for the MSW program will be awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis. Please contact the Office of Veteran Services for more information regarding the Yellow Ribbon Program for the MSW program.

Can I transfer my Post-9/11 GI Bill® Benefits to my dependents (TEB)?

For the first time in history, service members enrolled in the Post-9/11 GI Bill® program will be able to transfer unused educational benefits to their spouses or children starting Aug. 1, 2009. For specific questions on your eligibility for TEB, please call your service career counselor or personnel center. VA does not determine eligibility for TEB. Get more information on TEB.

How Do I Apply for Yellow Ribbon Benefits under Post-9/11 GI Bill®?

Interested students should complete and submit the application form available online at You will receive written notification explaining the VA's decision regarding your eligibility for the program. If you are eligible, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) that specifies you are "potentially eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program." For questions regarding COE, contact the veteran's administration at 1-888-GIBILL1 (442-4551) to speak with an Education Case Manager. Once you receive your COE and are deemed potentially eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program, submit your COE to the Financial Aid Office and fill out a Military Education Benefits Questionnaire and a VA Certification Application - Chapter 33.

Active Duty personnel and spouses of active duty personnel

Effective October 1, 2011, active duty personnel and spouses of active duty personnel are not eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program or the housing allowance.

Transfer Students

You must complete VA Form 22-1995 (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training). This gives the VA the information of your transferring to Carroll so that your benefits will be sent to the correct school. This can be done at

Monthly Housing Stipend

The monthly housing stipend is paid in arrears, which means you are paid for the previous month at the beginning of the following month. The housing stipend is pro-rated based upon less than full-time credits (between 7-11 credits), if taking less than 7 credits you will no longer be eligible for the housing stipend. There is no interval (break) pay. This means when the fall semester ends you are paid through the last day of finals. Your payment will resume upon the first day of spring classes. Therefore there is no housing stipend for the holiday break.

How will I know if I have received the Yellow Ribbon Program benefit from Carroll College?

If you are eligible for a Yellow Ribbon award, it will be part of your financial aid package in accordance with all federal, state and institutional rules and regulations. You will be notified of this award via an email from the Financial Aid Office and your MyCarroll account.

How is this benefit applied to my student account?

The Carroll College portion of your Yellow Ribbon award will credit to your account once you meet all enrollment and disbursement requirements. The VA match of your Yellow Ribbon award will issue payment directly to the College on your behalf after your enrollment certification is processed by the VA.

Useful Phone Numbers

  • Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Processing Center in St. Louis, MO; Phone: (888) 442-4551
  • State of Montana Veterans Affairs Division, Department of Military Affairs; Phone: (406) 495-2082
  • Fort Harrison, MT; Phone: (800) 827-1000

For Additional Information  
Visit for additional information on the Yellow Ribbon Program or other educational benefits. Get additional information on what to expect at Carroll College.

TAPS Military Survivor Education Assistance

The TAPS Military Survivors Education Assistance website assists survivors with access to the education benefits available for children of America's fallen heroes. Resources include scholarships for military surviving families that are available from Federal, State and Private organizations. Visit the TAPS website for additional information.

Contact Us!

If you have questions that this section does not address, please contact one of the following:

We look forward to hearing from you.