Master of Social Work (MSW) Application Process
- Official Transcripts – Applicants may submit unofficial transcripts in PDF format for admission consideration. Final official transcripts will not be required until applicants have been admitted and move forward in the application process. For unconditional admission, your cumulative GPA over the last two years of your undergraduate education should be no less than 3.00. We will, however, consider applicants with less than a 3.00 GPA for conditional admission. If your GPA is less than 3.00, submit a brief letter explaining your undergraduate performance and how you will be able to maintain a 3.00 in Carroll's MSW program.
- Professional Essay – Applicants answer the following questions (Maximum of 500 words for each response):
- What is motivating you to seek an MSW degree?
- How will an MSW degree help you achieve your professional goals?
- How do your personal values align with social work's mission and ethical principles? The mission and ethical principles can be found here (the link is external).
- Are there specific social issues you'd like to address or populations you'd like to serve as a professional social worker?
- Under what conditions do you learn best?
- References – Submit three professional/academic references from people who can comment on your potential to successfully complete graduate study.
- Resume – Describe your educational background and professional or volunteer experience. Emphasize experience in social service-related areas.
Requirement - Students must complete 18 semester credits in humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences. These courses can be taken in disciplines such as anthropology, biology, general studies, history, liberal studies, psychology, or sociology. (Note – these courses do not need to be completed when you apply but must be finished before starting the program).