Student Employment

Student Employment at Carroll

View Student
Job Listings
Employment can be a very important part of your experience at Carroll. Working while attending college can help to defer the cost of education, assist you in learning valuable time management skills, and give you transferable experience when you enter the job market.

To apply for a position, reach out directly to the contact person in the posting to find out how they would like you to apply.  If they request an application, it can be found here:  application for student employment.

In this video, we walk you through the process of becoming a student worker at Carroll College.

Types of positions

Carroll has numerous student positions available. Student positions at Carroll fall into two categories: Work-study and Regular College. Work-study positions are funded 75 percent by the federal government, and 25 percent by the College. Work-study is part of a total financial aid award that is based upon financial need. 

Regular college positions are part-time student jobs funded entirely by Carroll and may be available if you do not qualify for work-study funds.

Finding a Job

Carroll has a wide variety of student positions. Positions are available with nearly every academic and administrative department on campus. A number of off-campus positions with various community service organizations are also available to Work-study eligible students.

The starting wage for student positions is $9.20 per hour. Listings of open positions, wages and their supervisors are available at

Once a position of interest is found, the student contacts the supervisor directly to apply. If you need assistance in reaching the supervisor, contact the Office of Human Resources. Be sure to supply the supervisor with a copy of hours you are available to work when you apply. Supervisors must give preference to Work-study eligible students in hiring considerations. If you are unsure whether or not you qualify for work-study, contact the Financial Aid Office. If the supervisor is unable to find qualified Work-study students for the position and has the approval of the Vice President for Finance, & Administration, he/she may hire students that don't qualify for Work-study (also referred to as Regular College). After a decision to hire is made, supervisors will notify the student(s) selected as well as those not selected. Be sure to notify the Office of Human Resources as soon as you're hired.

Getting Paid

You will record and submit your hours in Self-Serivce each month. Only include hours actually worked. Time for coffee breaks, meals, vacations, holidays and illness are not compensable, and therefore should not be included on your time sheet. Don't forget to submit your time sheet to indicate verification of your hours. Your supervisor will also need to approve your time sheet in Self Service.  

It is up to the student and supervisor to submit time sheets by the monthly deadline (usually the first working of each month). Late time sheets will be paid on the following months payroll. Payroll advances will not be available for late time sheets.


It is up to each student and supervisor to determine a mutually agreeable schedule. Every effort will be made to accommodate the student's academic schedule. If the demands of the job cannot be matched with the student's schedule, the student may seek another job (see Changing Jobs section). Be certain to calculate the number of hours per week that you will need to work in order to earn your entire work-study award (taking into account studying for mid-term and final exams, school holidays, etc.).

Student positions will generally require between 10 and 15 hours of work per week, however, some positions may require fewer hours. You may hold a combination of two or more positions for which the total hours per week worked will allow you to earn your entire work-study award. However, you cannot work more than 20 hours per week at Carroll except during the summer.

Confidentiality Issues

In many of the positions available, you may have access to confidential material. Students are expected to respect the confidential nature of information they may read, overhear, etc. concerning students, parents, faculty, staff, alumni, donors, or vendors including income information, tax information, grade and job evaluations, documents relating to performance, salary and fringe benefits, insurance information, account information and other administrative or personal information.

Supervisors should identify confidentiality issues with all employees, including student employees. All students must sign a Statement of Confidentiality upon beginning employment at Carroll.

Changing Jobs

Students wishing to change jobs at Carroll or to terminate employment altogether must give a minimum of two weeks notice to their supervisor and to the Office of Human Resources. Failure to provide minimum notice except under the most extenuating circumstances may result in forfeiture of participation in the College work programs for the entire academic year.


It is the policy of Carroll College that students may be disciplined for job-related reasons, up to and including termination. "Job-related reasons" means grounds for taking disciplinary action based on failure to satisfactorily perform job duties; disruption of the College's operations; failure to meet the expectations or the goals of a plan of improvement; violation of the College's procedures, policies, rules, or performance standards; or other legitimate business reasons.

Discipline shall be commensurate with the seriousness of the offense. For example, the College, at its discretion, may use corrective counseling or an oral warning before more severe disciplinary action is taken for routine performance deficiencies and lesser offenses. More severe disciplinary action, up to and including termination, will be taken for more serious offenses (which may include, but not limited to theft, illegal use of alcohol or other drugs, failure to report for work, contract violations, or inappropriate use of technology), and repeated lesser offenses (which may include, but not limited to paperwork errors, arriving late or leaving work early or inappropriate behaviors that compromise the integrity of the employee in the position).

Discipline Appeals
In keeping with the Mission Statement of Carroll College, an individual who believes he/she has been disciplined or terminated beyond job-related reasons, every effort should be made to resolve problems, whenever possible, on an informal basis outside the formal grievance procedure. For advice on how to resolve the situation informally, the individual may contact the Vice President for Student Life, the Director of Human Resources, or the Counseling Center.

If the student is unable to resolve the grievance informally, the student may file a grievance with the offending party's supervisor (if a Carroll employee), or the appropriate vice president. The grievance should be in writing and describe the nature of the problem, the specific reasons for the student's dissatisfaction, and the student's desired solution. In addition, the student should submit a list of the names of the person(s) who have knowledge about the grievance and copies of any relevant documents. The grievance should be filed as soon as possible after the incident or action occurs. Early reporting is encouraged because the college's ability to investigate an act or report diminishes with time.

All grievances must be forwarded to the Director of Human Resources who will consult with the offending party's supervisor or vice president regarding the appropriateness of the discipline/termination decision. The final decision regarding the outcome of the grievance lies with the direct supervisor or appropriate vice president.

The direct supervisor/vice president's decision will be communicated to the parties involved. If determined necessary, the college will then take prompt and effective remedial action. The action must be commensurate with the severity of the offense and be made known to the student.


This is the document that will help determine financial aid. There are currently a couple of ways that you can go about filling this out.

  1. Apply online at the FAFSA website
  2. You can stop by the Financial Aid Office at Carroll to fill out a copy and get some help.

Summer Employment

Although fewer than during the academic year, Carroll also has summer employment opportunities. All summer positions are Regular College funded positions, we do not have Work-study positions over the summer.   New student employment authorizations are required for summer jobs.  

Steps to become a Work-study

  1. Apply for Financial Aid (the FAFSA form).
  2. Check to see that your award letter states work study.
  3. Research open job positions.
  4. Fill out the application for student employment.
  5. Get the job.
  6. Complete the pre-employment forms within the first 3 days of work.
  7. Pick up your first check on the 10th of the month.

If you have any question regarding employment please contact the Jennifer Bingham in the Office of Human Resources at (406) 447-5502 or by email at:  If you have questions regarding your Finanical Aid package and your eligibility for Work-study, please contact Lara Thomas in the Financial Aid office at  (406) 447-5425 or by email at