Softball Weekend 2022: April 23-24
Team rosters, conduct forms, and a $100 fee must be turned in at the Student Activities Office Borromeo room 130 by noon on Monday, April 11. Only those who have signed the Student Conduct Agreement form are eligible to play for your team.
Mandatory Softball Weekend Meeting for all captains on Monday at noon on April 11 in Simperman 101/202. If the captain cannot attend, please send a substitute to represent your team. Captain meeting agenda:
- Explanation of Weekend - non-alcohol softball tournament (safety)
- Responsible Student Conduct Agreement (making good decisions)
- The rules (what the weekend will look like)
- Only current students and employees are legal to play on your team
- Questions and Answers
- Captains putting together teams and team fees (rosters)
- Teams with Inappropriate names will not be added to the roster.
- Deadlines and Team Shirts
- All are asked to play on only one team. If you must a maximum of 2.
- Club funds cannot be used to pay for shirts or for team fees!
Having fun is what this is all about... Let's celebrate life and friendship and a great weekend!
No Alcohol, Containers, or Water Bottles at the Softball Fields
Absolutely no alcohol is allowed at the fields, dugouts, or parking lot at any time during the weekend. Any team caught with alcohol will be immediately be disqualified and asked to leave the fields – no exceptions! Any person whom the umpire deems “not sober” must leave the fields immediately and will be taken home by taxi. Rules set forth by Carroll College and the City of Helena for Batch Baseball Fields.
No water bottles allowed. Water stations will be provided for you at the fields. There is no reason for you to bring a water bottle.
- Students arriving at the fields obviously intoxicated, acting stupid, or in a state where they could be a danger to others or themselves will be asked to leave.
- Students who are in possession of alcohol will have to leave the fields and their team will forfeit the game.
- It is your responsibility to clean out the Dugouts from the last game. Dugout will be checked for alcohol each game. The presents of alcohol or containers will result in the forfeit the game.
- Bottom line there is no alcohol or containers allowed at the fields.
Team Name and Team Shirts Must be Appropriate!
Due to Title IX regulations, the content of the shirts must be appropriate. "Carroll College is committed to providing an environment that is free from harassment and discrimination based on race, color, or national origin, or because of age, physical or mental disability, marital status, gender identity, sexual orientation, creed, religion, or sex. In addition, team names which reflect the use or abuse of alcohol or other drugs will not be allowed."
Rules to follow when creating a team name for Softball Weekend: After consideration is given to all relevant possible meanings of the name - would a reasonable person find the intent of the name acceptable? "Would a Reasonable Person find it offensive? Can the name of your team be considered as harassment against someone else? Reasonable Person: "A phrase frequently used in tort and Criminal Law to denote a hypothetical person in society who exercises average care, skill, and judgment in conduct and who serves as a comparative standard for determining liability."
The softball schedule takes into consideration those teams who request game times due to schedule conflicts but does not guarantee game times. The schedule will also take into consideration teams that would like to play one another but does not guarantee it will happen. No special request can be made after the schedule has been created.
Softball Weekend Rule Highlights
We ask that you only play on one team and no more than two. Any person or team may be dismissed by the tournament director, the director of student activities, an umpire, or any of the school officials present due to inappropriate conduct.
- You must park in the designated parking areas
- No littering
- No drinking in public, No open containers, No alcohol
- No drinking and driving
- No indecent exposure
- No vandalism
- A person who shows up at the fields drunk and or belligerent will be asked to leave.
Infractions of city rules will be ticketed by the Helena Police Department.
Drop Dead Rule
Drop Dead Rule with a 55 min time limit per game. - A horn will sound the start and the end of the game time. Games called on time will revert to the score at the last full inning completed. Unless the team that is batting second in the inning has a score that has tied or passed the team that batted first in the inning. If the game is tied when the horn sounds or when we revert to the top of the last completed inning then a tie score will be reported in the standings.
Umpires and Scoring
The Helena Umpires Association has been hired and we have been working with the Helena Softball Association to organize this tournament.
Score is kept by the umpire so you must check in with him every inning to make sure the score is correct. It is the responsibility of the umpire to bring the scorecard to Patrick Harris at the end of the game. We will use these scorecards to determine who moves forward to the Playoffs.
For current Carroll students only
Everyone who plays on your team/listed on your Roster must be a current Carroll student. Any team having a non-Carroll student or employee on their team will not be allowed to play. Rosters will be checked before the weekend begins and teams having non-Carroll students will not be added to the schedule. All teams making it to the Sunday playoffs games will be double checked to make sure only Carroll students and employees are on the team. If your team plays against another team that has a non-Carroll player then you can ask for a forfeit and you will automatically win the game. This is an event for current Carroll Students only.
Why the $100 Registration Fee?
The cost for the Softball Tournament:
- $1600 Helena Slow Pitch Umpires Assoc.
- $2,400 Helena Police
- $600 Equipment
- $400 Softballs
- $400 Field Maintenance.
- $250 Team Liability Insurance through ASA.
- $600 Field Reservations and Rentals
- Porta-potties, waste management cost, parks & rec fees
Total Estimate: $7,000 We hope to get 40 at $100 each = $4000. Carroll College covers the cost that is not paid by the team fee.
First Aid Volunteers for Softball Weekend
To nursing students and those who have first aid experience - we are looking for students to work the First Aid Station at the Softball Weekend. Volunteers are needed for every hour of Softball Weekend. (2 every hour if possible)
- Hours run from 8am to 8pm on Saturday at Both Batch and YMCA Fields
- Hours run from 9 am to 1:30 pm on Sunday at Batch Fields