Softball Weekend 2019: April 26-28
This year Softball Weekend is taking place during the Presidental Inauguration weekend.
- Friday, April 26 at 6:30 p.m. - Home Run Derby where President John Cech will start the event with the first pitch to home plate. If you would like to be a part of the Home Run Derby. email your name to Patrick Harris to be added to the contest participant list. You must bring your own pitcher.
- Saturday, April 27 - Softball game day.
- Sunday, April 28 - Overflow date in case we need to schedule games on this day.
No Alcohol, Containers, or Water Bottles at the Softball Fields
Absolutely no alcohol is allowed at the fields, dugouts, or parking lot at any time during the weekend. Any team caught with alcohol will be immediately be disqualified and asked to leave the fields – no exceptions! Any person whom the umpire deems “not sober” must leave the fields immediately and will be taken home by taxi. Rules set forth by Carroll College and the City of Helena for Batch Baseball Fields.
No water bottles allowed. Water stations will be provided for you at the fields.There is no reason for you to bring a water bottle.
- Students arriving at the fields obviously intoxicated, acting stupid, or in a state where they could be a danger to others or themselves will be asked to leave.
- Students who are in possession of alcohol will have to leave the fields and their team will forfeit the game.
- It is your responsibility to clean out the Dugouts from the last game. Dugout will be checked for alcohol each game. The presents of alcohol or containers will result in the forfeit the game.
- Bottom line there is no alcohol or containers allowed at the fields.
Team Name and Team Shirts Must be Appropriate!
Title Nine rule for all Colleges! This is very important! Due to Title Nine regulations the content of the shirts must be appropriate. "Carroll College is committed to providing an environment that is free from harassment and discrimination based on race, color, or national origin, or because of age, physical or mental disability, marital status, gender identity, sexual orientation, creed, religion or sex. In addition, team names which reflect the use or abuse of alcohol or other drugs will not be allowed."
Rules to follow when creating a team name for Softball Weekend: After consideration is given to all relevant possible meanings of the name - would a reasonable person find the intent of the name acceptable? "Would a Reasonable Person find it offensive? Can the name of your team be considered as harassment against someone else? Reasonable Person: "A phrase frequently used in tort and Criminal Law to denote a hypothetical person in society who exercises average care, skill, and judgment in conduct and who serves as a comparative standard for determining liability."
The softball schedule takes into consideration those teams who request game times due to schedule conflicts but does not guarantee game times. The schedule will also take into consideration teams that would like to play one another but does not guarantee it will happen. No special request can be made after the schedule has been created.
Softball Weekend Rule Highlights
We ask that you only play on one team and no more than two. Any person or team may be dismissed by: the tournament director, the director of student activities, an umpire, or any of the schools officials present due to inappropriate conduct.
- You must park in the designated parking areas
- No littering
- No drinking in public, No open containers, No alcohol
- No drinking and driving
- No indecent exposure
- No vandalism
- A person who shows up at the fields drunk and or belligerent will be asked to leave.
Infractions of city rules will be ticketed by the Helena Police Department.
Drop Dead Rule
Drop Dead Rule with a 55 min time limit per game. - A horn will sound the start and the end of the game time. Games called on time will revert to the score at the last full inning completed. Unless the team that is batting second in the inning has a score that has tied or passed the team that batted first in the inning. If the game is tied when the horn sounds or when we revert to the top of the last completed inning then a tie score will be reported in the standings.
Umpires and Scoring
The Helena Umpires Association has been hired and we have been working with the Helena Softball Association to organize this tournament.
Score is kept by the umpire so you must check in with him every inning to make sure the score is correct. It is the responsibility of the umpire to bring the scorecard to Patrick Harris at the end of the game. We will use these scorecards to determine who moves forward to the Playoffs.
For current Carroll students only
Everyone who plays on your team/listed on your Roster must be a current Carroll student. Any team having a non-Carroll student or employee on their team will not be allowed to play. Rosters will be checked before the weekend begins and teams having non-Carroll students will not be added to the schedule. All teams making it to the Sunday playoffs games will be double checked to make sure only Carroll students and employees are on the team. If your team plays against another team who has a non-Carroll player then you can ask for a forfeit and you will automatically win the game. This is an event for current Carroll Students only.
Why the $100 Registration Fee?
For your $10 (or less if you have more than 10 people) you will play 3 games at the least = $3.33 a game. This will cover unlimited food, pop and water, umpire costs, field rental, equipment, printing, first aid, trophies, and security.
First Aid Volunteers for Softball Weekend
To nursing students and those who have first aid experience - we are looking for students to work the First Aid Station at the Softball Weekend. Volunteers are needed for every hour of Softball Weekend. (2 every hour if possible)
- Hours run from 8am to 8pm on Saturday at Both Batch and YMCA Fields
- Hours run from 9 am to 1:30 pm on Sunday at Batch Fields
If you would like to volunteer, email Patrick at email@example.com and let him know the day and hours you can volunteer.