Student Undergraduate Research Festival
Student Undergraduate Research Festival (SURF)
The Student Undergraduate Research Festival (SURF) is a celebration of the research done by Carroll College students. The event occurs every April, and everyone is invited to attend. SURF is seen as the highlight of the year for all of the students doing research, and it is a wonderful opportunity for other Carroll students, Carroll faculty and staff members, and community members to see the amazing work done by our students.
In 2017, we had a record number of 107 participants, and they were all very excited to share their research with you during this time of student-driven, inquiry-oriented learning.
This year's SURF event is taking place on April 20th from 9am to 4pm. SURF will be taking the place of classes on this day. Download the program (PDF)
On April Hilton Lewis from Keck Observatory in Hawaii will be presented the keynote address of the 2018 Carroll College Student Undergraduate Research Festival entitled, "W. M. Keck Observatory: Portal to the Universe."
Schedule of Events
Thursday, April 19
- 7:00-8:00 p.m. SURF Keynote Address with Hilton Lewis of the W.M. Keck Observatory in Hawaii (Simperman Hall Weigand Amphitheatre)
- 8:00-9:00 p.m. Reception (Fortin Science Center Scola)
Friday, April 20
- 8:30-9:00 a.m. Breakfast for presenters (Upper Campus Center)
- 9:00–9:45 a.m. Poster Presentations (Upper Campus Center)
- 10:00–10:45 a.m. Research Presentations (Lower Campus Center and Trinity Lounge)
- 11:00–11:45 a.m. Research Presentations; including Manion Symposium (Lower Campus Center and Trinity Lounge)
- 11:45–12:45 p.m. Lunch
- 12:05–12:45 p.m. SURF Lunchtime Lecture: Matt Eussen speaking on "The Enduring Role of Values in U.S. Foreign Policy" (FLEX Theatre)
- 1:00 to 1:45 p.m. Research Presentations (Lower Campus Center)
- 2:00–2:45 p.m. Research Presentations (Lower Campus Center)
- 3:00–4:00 p.m. Poster Presentations (Upper Campus Center)
- 4:00–5:00 p.m. Honors Convocation (location TBA)