|On September 28, 2020, Carroll’s newest nursing cohort received their mobius loop pin (provided by the Arnold P. Gold Foundation) at the annual Nursing White Coat and Hand Blessing Ceremony in All Saints Chapel. The White Coat Ceremony is designed as a rite of passage to emphasize the importance of compassionate patient care at the very start of training. The mobius loop used on the pin design symbolizes the continuous bond of trust, respect and clear communication between healthcare professionals and their patients, which occurs when humanism is at the core of medical practice.|
While COVID physical distancing requirements kept all levels of the nursing program from gathering together at the ceremony this year, more than 100 upperclass nursing students, family and friends watched the ceremony via livestream. (The ceremony is available for viewing at this link: https://youtu.be/fk0NfqpINss).
|The summer issue of the Carroll Magazine was mailed out last week. Hopefully you’ve received it in your mailbox by now. It also available for viewing online.|
We send the magazine to alumni, parents, faculty and staff so if you are receiving multiple copies at your address, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can cut back on unnecessary costs and duplication.
In addition to campus news and updates, the Summer 2020 issue has some great features including:
We hope you enjoy this issue!
- Carroll Talking Saints: A Tradition of Excellence – Carroll’s forensics team has had a long and successful run of winning championships and transforming lives. Read about the lessons learned and the adventures had.
- Infectious Disease Ecology: How Zoonotic Outbreaks Happen – Where did COVID-19 come from and how do we prepare for future outbreaks? Learn about the science behind zoonotic diseases from our own Dr. Grant Hokit.
- Alumni on the Frontlines: From COVID Units to Coffee Counters – Hear from Carroll alumni on how their various professions provided them with a front row seat during a global pandemic.
- Profiles on our Alumni Award and Athletic HOF winners
- Parting Thoughts – A new addition to the magazine this section provides an opportunity for a Carroll community member to share their insights on a topical issue. Our inaugural contributor is JP Williams ’91 sharing his experience with “The Equality of Catholic Education at Carroll College.”
Brian Campbell ‘09 was recently featured in the Young Professional 2020 profiles for the Tri-Cities Area Journal of Business. You can view Brian’s interview here: Young Professional 2020: Brian Campbell.
|Sharyn Lynn (Fairhurst) Andersen, class of 1970 – read more about her life here.|
|William (Bill) Pauly Corette, Sr. – friend and supporter of Carroll College – read more about his life here.|
| Dr. James E. Dean, '51 – read more about his life here.|
|Joan Corette Hanley – friend and supporter of Carroll College – read more about her life here.|
Carroll College is exploring the possibility of offering a winter intersession, with a select number of online (asynchronous) and remote (synchronous) classes being offered in between the Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 semesters. Similar to the summer session, this winter intersession could serve as a chance to catch up or get ahead on requirements. Before making a final decision, we are hoping to get feedback from students.
|Sunday Mass, 5 pm & 8 pm, All Saints Chapel, Carroll College|
Blessing of the Animals, Oct. 5, 4:45 pm, Sladdich Fountain lawn, Carroll College
Service Saturday, Oct. 10, 8:30 am, Various locations around town
Carroll Athletics Red Cross Blood Drive, Oct. 13, 10 am – 4 pm, Carroll College PE Center
Carroll Spirit Weekend, Oct. 16-18, Virtually
Religion, Race, and the American Dog, Roeben-Raunig Lecture Series, Oct. 29, 7 pm, Zoom webinar
Founders Gala, Nov. 6, 7 pm, Virtually