Local Theatre Opportunities
Our Carroll Theatre students are welcome at all of Helena's local theatre companies. Carroll actors and technical theatre specialists have many opportunites beyond our regular season to get involved in local theatre to enrich their resumes with outside production work.
Grandstreet is Montana’s premiere community theatre with over 40 years of continuous service. Each year they produce 10-12 plays and musicals in a beautifully preserved 200-seat turn-of-the-century romanesque granite church and an additional 45-seat black box studio. Nestled at the base of the Rocky Mountains in a small but thriving arts community, Grandstreet enjoys tremendous public support and regularly produces some of the best live theatre in the Northwest.
- Acting - our students are encouraged to audition for Grandstreets season of shows. It is rare that a musical opens at Grandstreet without at least two Carroll Theatre students in the cast. Grandstreet also has a summer stock company that our students sometimes audition for in February of each year.
- Tech - Grandstreet welcomes student designers to learn and work with them in the areas of sound, lights, set, costume, scenic painting, stage management, and stage crew when the Carroll faculty deems them ready for those assignments. Their technical system and stage configuration are quite different from Carroll's, so this arrangement is extremely valuable to our students.
- Education - our students are invited to apply for internships in Grandstreet's Theatre School program. Marianne Adams, Tony nominated theatre educator, welcomes qualified Theatre Education students and interested Theatre majors and minors to assist in their after school theatre school program.
Helena Theatre Company is an ensemble theatre company formed more than 25 years ago in Helena. It produces professional theatre in the Carroll College FLEX Theatre as well as other venues. Since HTC is a professional company, the actors, directors, and techies all take a share of the profits for each show.
- Acting - our students are encouraged to audition for HTC shows. The experience of working in ensemble theatre is a good learning experience for actors, and working with seasoned local artists is also a valuable experience.
- Tech - qualified students are often used as stage managers, designers, and run crew for HTC shows.
Originally built as a Shrine temple in 1920, the Helena Civic Center is now owned and operated by the City of Helena. The Helena Civic Center offers the community a unique place to enjoy concerts, conferences, conventions, banquets, balls, wedding receptions, expositions, art shows and other special events.
The Helena Civic Center houses two major facilities: the 1,925 seat Auditorium Theater and the 15,000 sq. ft. Ballroom exhibition hall, which is used for banquets, craft shows, dances, weddings, trade shows and conferences. Visit Helena as she was to learn more about Helena Civic Center's history.
- Acting - The Civic Center does not produce shows, so there are no acting opportunites at the Civic Center
- Tech - qualified students are hired as stage hands and run crew for shows at the Civic Center. There are jobs and internships available. Since the equipment at the Civic Center is significantly different from what is used at Grandstreet and Carroll's FLEX, the additional training in this house is extremely beneficial to our students.