Spanish Major Requirements
I. Major Program Requirements
33 upper-division credits beyond SP 204.
21-23 credits, all courses in this section are required.
- SP 301 or 302 – Spanish Conversation (3 credits)
- SP 303 – Introduction to Spanish & Latin American Civilization & Culture (3 credits)
- SP 305 – Introduction to Spanish & Latin American Literature (3 credits)
- SP 306 – Advanced Spanish Grammar and Composition (3 credits)
- SP 401 – Topics in Spanish Peninsular Literature (3 credits)
- SP 403 or 404 – Topics in Latin American Culture & Literature I or II (3 credits)
- SP 415 – Spanish Lab Coordinator Practicum (2 credit)
- Students must sign up for the Practicum twice.
- SP 491 – Spanish Capstone Project (1-3 credits)
9 upper-division credits (3 classes) beyond SP 204, not including those taken as required courses.
- SP 301 or 302 Spanish Conversation I or II (if not used above)
- SP 320 Spanish for the Professions
- SP 350 Intensive Spanish Immersion Abroad
- SP 403 or 404 Topics in Latin American Culture and Literature I or II (If not used above)
- SP 410 Topics in Spanish and Latin American Film Studies
- SP 389 or 489 Approved special topics courses
3 credits (1 class) offered outside of the Spanish Program from the following list.
- ENLT 489 US Latino/a Literature
- MLAS 200 Gateway to Latin American Studies
- HI 271 History of Modern Latin America
- PO 241 Democracy and Autocracy
- PO 328 The Developing World
- PO 348 International Negotiation (by approval, based on topic)
- TH 210 Catholicism
- TH 264 Theologies of Liberation
II. Study Abroad Requirements
- Successful participation in an approved program of study or internship in a Spanish speaking country. Spanish majors will complete a study abroad or internship program of at least 4 weeks with a homestay required. Ideally study abroad will take place during one of three available periods:
- Summer between sophomore and junior year
- Spring semester of sophomore year or Fall or Spring semester of junior year
- 1 full-year study during junior year
Spanish Minor RequirementsIn order to earn a minor in Spanish, a student must successfully complete 15 upper-division credits beyond SP 204.
Students must take all of the following courses:
- SP 301 or 302 – Spanish Conversation
- SP 303 – Introduction to Spanish & Latin American Civilization and Culture
- SP 305 – Introduction to Spanish & Latin American Literature
- SP 306 – Advanced Spanish Grammar and Composition
Students must take at least one (1) of the following courses:
- SP 320 – Spanish for the Professions
- SP 401 – Topics in Culture and Literature of Spain
- SP 403 or 404 – Topics in Culture and Literature of Latin America I or II
- SP 410 – Topics in Spanish & Latin American Cinema & Film Studies