Minor in Physics for Secondary Education
I. Minor Program Requirements
- PHYS 160 Einstein’s Physics
- PHYS 205 Physics using Calculus I: Mechanics
- PHYS 206 Physics using Calculus II: Electricity and Magnetism
- PHYS 321 Geometrical Optics
- PHYS/ENGR 305 Electronics and Circuit Analysis I
II. Math Requirements
- MA 121 & 122 Differential and Integral Calculus
- or MA 131 Calculus of Single Variable Functions
- MA 207 Elementary Statistics
- MA 141 Introduction to Mathematical Modeling
- MA 233 Multivariable Calculus
III. Other Program Requirements
- PHIL 252 Philosophy and History of Science
- ED 346 Teaching Science in the Secondary School
- Two courses chosen from Astronomy, Chemistry, or Earth Science
IV. Teacher Licensure
To obtain teacher licensure in Physics for Secondary Education, a student must complete:
- ED 408 Student Teaching In the Minor Area
- or ED 410 Student Teaching
V. Recommended Courses
- PHYS 155 Robotics & Experimental Physics
- ENGR 302 Engineering Mechanics I: Statics
VI. Acceptance into the Teacher Education Program and Student Teaching
Teacher Education Program: Students pursuing academic programs that lead to teacher licensure must seek admission to the teacher education program by the end of their sophomore year.
Student Teaching: In the spring semester of the junior year, all preservice teachers must seek admission to student teaching.
- See page 140 for Secondary Education Requirements and Professional Education Requirements for Secondary Education in academic catalog.
- All Physics for Secondary Education students must meet the following requirements:
- earn a grade of “C-” or better in all Professional Education Requirements, Minor Program Requirements, and Other Program Requirements;
- earn a minimum 2.5 cumulative grade point average;
- earn a minimum 2.65 grade point average in Minor Program Requirements and in Other Program Requirements;
- earn a minimum 2.65 grade point average in Professional Education Requirements.
For full course descriptions, see the Carroll College Academic Catalog.