Gifts that pay you income
With careful planning, you can receive an immediate income tax deduction and provide yourself or others with an annual income while supporting Carroll College in a way that’s meaningful to you.
Charitable Gift Annuity
A charitable gift annuity provides you or anyone you designate with a fixed annual income for life in exchange for your contribution of cash, stocks or bonds.
Charitable Remainer Trust
A charitable remainder trust is an agreement between you and a trustee – Carroll College. You receive annual payments from the trust, and at the end of the trust’s term Carroll uses the assets remaining in the trust to support the purpose you designate.
"Deciding to attend Carroll was the defining moment in my life. From that decision I was transformed academically, emotionally and spiritually. I am grateful for my experience at Carroll. From gratitude comes generosity. I was given a transformational education at Carroll and wish to provide the financial means to allow others to have the same opportunity."- Patricia Chvatal, Class of ‘72
Gifts that take effect at death
These deferred gifts establish your legacy today, ensuring that future generations will benefit from your generosity.
Bequests to Carroll College can be made by including Carroll in your will or trust.
Retained life estate
You can contribute your residence, vacation home or farm to Carroll College and continue to occupy and use the donated property for life.
Beneficiary designation for life insurance or retirement assets
You can name Carroll College as the beneficiary of a portion or all of a life insurance policy, retirement plan or IRA and designate your gift to support the area of your choice.
"Carroll College is a special place for us and our family. We loved our time at Carroll and want future generations to have the same opportunities that we and our children had. Including Carroll in our estate plans was a simple way to make a big difference in the lives of future students." - Mark & Rosemary Semmens, Class of ’82 & ‘83
Gifts with tax incentives
Carroll College has established an endowment fund to provide for its future and our student’s educational needs. Because of this endowment Carroll can offer donors several tax benefits.
THE MONTANA ENDOWMENT TAX CREDIT: Montana’s Endowment Tax Credit allows credits against individual and corporate income tax for qualifying gifts to Montana permanent endowments. The current Montana Qualified Endowment Credit law provides for:
- Planned Gifts – Credit against state income tax liability in the amount of 40% of the present value of any planned gift to a permanent endowment of a Montana charity up to a maximum amount of $10,000 per year per taxpayer. This applies to individual or business entity taxpayers.
- Outright Gifts – Credit against state income tax liability in the amount of 20% of the present value of any outright gift by a business entity to a permanent endowment of a Montana charity up to a maximum of $10,000 per year per taxpayer. This applies to corporations, small business corporations, partnership or liability company taxpayers.
Plan a bequest
Making a bequest is the most common gift planning option and one of the easiest ways to make a difference in the lives of students at Carroll College. It simply requires making a provision in your will or living trust to leave assets to Carroll College.
Here are several suggestions of wording for remembering Carroll College in your will:
- “I give ten thousand dollars ($10,000) to Carroll College, in Helena, Montana.”
- “I give ten percent (10%) of my estate to Carroll College, in Helena, Montana.”
- “I give the following described property to Carroll College, in Helena, Montana:___________.”
A BEQUEST LETS YOU:
- Maintain complete control of your assets during your lifetime.
- Modify your gift plan should your circumstances and needs change.
- Direct your assets toward a specific college program or purpose.
- Take advantage of estate tax deductions, with no upper limit. If you plan to include Carroll College in your will, please contact us so that we can be sure we understand and fulfill the intentions of your bequest.
Contact us to learn more
To learn more about arranging your bequest and other gift options, contact the Office of Institutional Advancement. We look forward to working with you and your advisor to create a gift plan that meets your philanthropic vision.