Direct Entry to Carroll's Nursing Program
Direct Entry FAQ's
What is Direct Entry?
Direct Entry to the nursing program requires no additional application process once the student is admitted. As a Direct Entry nursing student, you will enroll in our pre-licensure BSN nursing curriculum beginning your first semester. During your first year in the program you will complete the following courses:
- Biology 201 – Anatomy & Physiology + Lab*
- Biology 202 – Anatomy & Physiology + Lab*
- Chemistry 111 – Essentials of Chemistry + Lab*
- Communications 101 – Basic Communication*
- English Writing 102 – College Composition*
- Liberal Arts Studies 101 – Alpha Seminar
- Psychology 105 – General Psychology*
- Psychology 203 – Developmental Psychology*
- Theology 101 – Theological Foundations
* To progress in the nursing program, you must earn a grade of “C-” or better in all these prerequisite nursing courses. Students must also maintain a minimum cumulative Carroll GPA of 2.75 at the end of each semester. Further details regarding progression in the program is provided here.
What criteria is considered in the selection of Direct Entry students?
Direct Entry eligibility criteria:
- Minimum 3.30 GPA
- Minimum, composite ACT score of 24 or new SAT score of 1190 (Math and Combined Reading and Writing)
- Completion of 1 year of Chemistry by the 6th semester
- Completion of 1 year of Biology by the 6th semester
- Completion of mathematics through Intermediate Algebra (Algebra II) by the 6th semester
- Submission and completion (receipt of all supporting credentials) of application by the November 1st deadline and listing Nursing as the first major interest
Please note: not all candidates meeting the minimum eligibility criteria will be selected for the Direct Entry Program.
Should I submit additional letters of recommendation or updated test scores?
While not required, applicants are welcome to submit additional information such as letters of recommendations and/or updated test scores for the committee’s consideration. All supplemental information must be received by November 1.
If I am not selected for Direct Entry are there other opportunities for admission to the nursing major?
Yes. Some applicants will be allowed to enroll in the pre-nursing curriculum (see courses listed above) with an opportunity to apply to the nursing major during the Spring 2018 semester for Fall 2018 entry to the nursing major.
May I enroll at Carroll College if I am not selected for Direct Entry or afforded the opportunity to apply as a pre-nursing student to the nursing major?
Yes. If you have been admitted to Carroll College, you are welcomed to enroll in any other degree program offered at the College.
Timeline: Decision Notification and Status Updates
All applicants who have submitted their completed application November 1st and who have indicated Nursing as their first major of interest will be considered for Direct Entry. We are unable to consider students for Direct Entry who fail to meet this deadline. All applicants will be notified by January 15 regarding their application status. At that time, applicants will receive notification of one of the following:
- Admission to the Direct Entry Nursing program
- Eligibility to enroll in the pre-nursing curriculum with an opportunity to apply to the nursing major during the Spring semester for admission to the nursing major for the following Fall semester
- Eligibility to enroll at Carroll College selecting another major.
Offers of Admission
Students accepting Carroll's offer of admission are required to demonstrate their intent to enroll by submitting the Enrollment Reservation form and returning it with the $400 enrollment reservation fee to the Office of Admission by May 1. Please note that failure to submit the required enrollment reservation fee by May 1 will result in forfeiture of an offer for Direct Entry.
We welcome any additional questions you may have. Please contact the Admission counselor listed below:
- Cynthia Thornquist, Director of Admission | email@example.com | (406) 447-4389 | (800) 992-3648