Critical Care Specialty Course
Are you interested in advancing your nursing career as a critical care or emergency nurse?
If you are an experienced RN with one or more years of recent nursing experience in a hospital setting and are interested in advancing your career as a specialty nurse, this program is for you!
Carroll College, in collaboration with SCL Health Montana Region, is offering two nursing specialty courses:
- Introduction to Emergency Nursing
- Introduction to Intensive Care
- Introduction to Emergency Nursing Course: Starts February 26, 2018 for a 12- week course
- Introduction to Intensive Care Nursing Course: Starts February 26, 2018 for a 12- week course>
Participating Hospital for Clinical Hours:
- St. Vincent Healthcare, Billings, Montana. Clinical rotations will be held at St. Vincent Healthcare and include hands-on training.
SCL Health Montana Region will pay your tuition for the course of your choosing and provide a $5,000 stipend to eligible scholars, not currently employed with SCL Health Montana Region.
- Must be a registered nurse with a current unencumbered Montana RN license and current BLS certification.
- Experienced RNs with one or more years of recent employment in a hospital setting are welcome and encouraged to apply.
Additional Student Requirements:
- Student costs will include background check (approx. $40) and drug screen (approx. $90), Carroll College scrubs (approx. $120.00), and current up-to-date immunizations.
- Travel expenses to/from Carroll College in Helena, Montana for weekend intensives
- Full-time housing/residence in Billings to attend weekly clinical requirement
- This is a full-time program with the need for flexibility in scheduling clinical shifts. Students will work the schedule of their RN preceptor and must be available for assigned shifts.
- In this full-time program, you will receive 10 college credit hours that may be applied toward a baccalaureate degree, if needed.
- Both ICU and ED courses are full-time programs that include three weekend intensive classes (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday) at Carroll College campus in Helena or St. Vincent Healthcare campus in Billings, Montana.
- Students will participate in approximately 80 hours of classroom, skills and simulation education. Weekend Intensives will involve lecture, case studies, skills acquisition and patient simulations. Additionally, students will be expected to meet for an orientation day on February 26 at St. Vincent’s campus and a final exam day at Carroll College on May 19.
- 240 Clinical hours will be completed at St. Vincent’s Healthcare ICU or ER with an experienced RN preceptor and will include hands-on training and patient care.
- Approximately 24 hours of clinical time will be required per week and may be scheduled on weekdays, weekends, holidays, days or nights.
- Approximately 8-12 hours of independent homework will be required per week; this will include online critical care modules and assigned readings.
- Successful completion of the program and remaining in good standing with SCL Health Montana Region may result in an offer of employment.
Application Deadline: January 29, 2018
- Applications received after the January 29, 2018 deadline will be reviewed on a space available basis
- For application processing questions, contact Kaelynn Olsen at firstname.lastname@example.org or (406) 447-4386
- For questions regarding the course, please contact Maria Brosnan, MSN, ACNP-BC, Program Director, at email@example.com or (406) 447-4958