Accelerated Nursing at Carroll College
The Accelerated Nursing program is designed for students who have completed a bachelor’s degree and want to complete additional coursework required to become a licensed Registered Nurse and work in healthcare. Building on a long history of excellence in nursing, the 15-month intensive program includes coursework and clinical experiences designed to make them immediately employable and effective in one of the hottest career fields in the country.
The baccalaureate degree in nursing at Carroll College is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education. The program is also approved by the Montana State Board of Nursing.
Students who do not fulfill all of the below admission requirements can contact firstname.lastname@example.org to learn about how they can complete prerequisites to the program at Carroll College.
Those admitted to the program must:
- Complete or be enrolled in the following prerequisites (or their equivalent) with a “C -” or better at the time of application:
- Anatomy & Physiology I and II with labs*
- Essentials of Chemistry + lab*
- Organic & Biochemistry*
- Microbiology with lab*
- Intro to Sociology
- College Composition
- Basic Communication
- General Psychology
- Developmental Psychology
*All required science classes and labs must be face-to-face (online courses will not be accepted). The nursing department may grant an exception on a case-by-case basis for Organic & Biochemistry, which does not require a lab.
Due to the impact of COVID-19 and decreased access to face-to-face science classes, exceptions to this policy will be considered dependent on the course descriptions and if classes and labs were initially set up as in-person courses. Please contact admissions for further information. Be prepared to provide a syllabus for review.
- May be completed upon application or taken concurrently with the accelerated nursing classes.
- One theology class
- One philosophy class
Note: For the theology or philosophy classes, one must be an ethical reasoning course.
- Other requirements:
- Hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university
- Have an overall college career Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher on a 4-point scale (This includes all attempted credits at an accredited college or university).
The priority application deadline for May 2021 is November 1.
Successful applicants will then need to:
- Read the Nursing Statement of Understanding and the Essential Functions for Nursing Student Clinical Performance.
- Complete the Carroll College Application
- Complete criminal background check as instructed by the Department of Nursing, to be paid by the student. When ordering your background check, select if you are a Montana resident or out-of-state resident. Do not select the drug test option. Students with background checks that reveal a record will be evaluated individually to determine whether they will be admitted to the nursing major. Alcohol and drug violations may interfere with Montana Board of Nursing approval to sit for the NCLEX-RN exam.
- Provide documentation of freedom from communicable tuberculosis and immunity to hepatitis B, varicella, measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR).
Accelerated Nursing Financial Aid
Financial aid administered by the Financial Aid Office is designed to assist students in paying for their expenses associated with earning a degree. Federal financial aid is available to assist in paying for tuition, fees, books, supplies, and student living expenses while enrolled. Students may qualify for federal work-study, and loans only. Post Bach students (2nd Bachelor’s Degree) are not eligible for any Carroll College gift aid or tuition benefits.
A Post Bach student may be eligible for Federal Direct Stafford Loan limits based on their annual FAFSA results and aggregate loan limits ($7,500-12,500 annual limit). First-time Federal Direct Stafford Loan borrowers must complete a Federal Direct Stafford Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Counseling. Students may also be eligible for private student Loans which are loans available for students who need extra funding after receiving the annual maximum in Federal Direct Stafford Loans. These are credit-based loans and generally require a co-signer. For more information on some private loan options, you may view our FastChoice Comparison Tool. For information regarding aid at Carroll, view our Federal Loan Financial Aid webpage.
Veterans: Yellow Ribbon
There are a limited number of seats available in the Accelerated Nursing program for Yellow Ribbon recipients. Please contact Brandy Keely to learn about the competitive application process.
Tuition: Find final tuition and fees are located on our cost of attendance page. The program goes over four semesters for a total approximate cost of $61,000. Students will be sent full tuition and fee information at the time of inquiry. Some Financial Aid may be available depending on what aid a student has already taken. Our Financial Aid Office will work one on one with students. Please contact Financial Aid.
Students for this program must live in Helena due to the intense 15 month focus from May through the following August. Students in this program are eligible to live in the Carroll College apartments. Due to the nature of the program over the two summers, only the apartments are available. The Carroll College apartments are conveniently located on campus. Housing information will be sent to students at the time of admission.