Financial Aid

Scholarships/Financial Aid

Students who are currently employed and planning to attend Carroll’s MSW program might be able to receive a financial scholarship. Employers can discuss scholarship options if a job meets the practicum requirements. No other gift aid is available through Carroll College. However, Federal aid and outside source scholarships may be available for qualified applicants.

Paid Practicum

Some students can remain in their current job and continue receiving a salary while enrolled in the program if certain conditions are met. Some other practicum placements might be paid positions where students receive an hourly wage or stipend.

MSW Loan Repayment Options

For those seeking an educational loan, the following options can help to repay the loan.

Public Service Loan Forgiveness is a federal program designed to forgive student loan debt for employees of certain public and nonprofit jobs. The loan balance is forgiven after 120 qualifying payments while working for an eligible organization. This is an excellent option for graduates with higher loan balances. (Infographic)

    • Be employed by a U.S. federal, state, local, or tribal government or not-for-profit organization
    • Work full-time at the organization (FT = at least 30 hours)
    • Have direct loans (or consolidate federal student loans into a direct Loan)
    • Repay loans under an income-driven repayment plan, and make 120 qualifying payments
  • PSLF FAQ Page

Four Income-Driven Repayment Plans (options for repaying student loans)

  1. Revised Pay as You Earn Repayment Plan (REPAYE Plan)
  2. Pay As You Earn Repayment Plan (PAYE Plan)
  3. Income-Based Repayment Plan (IBR Plan)
  4. Income-Contingent Repayment Plan (ICR Plan)

Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) - National Health Service Corps (NHSC) Loan Repayment Program

  • Once licensed (LCSW), graduates can get up to $50,000 to pay off their student loans
  • Three Programs available
    1. NHSC Repayment Program
    2. NHSC Substance Use Disorder Workforce Loan Repayment Program
    3. NHSC Rural Community Loan Repayment Program
  • Eligibility:
    • A United States citizen (U.S. born or naturalized) or United States national
    • Licensed Clinical Social Worker in a state where employed
    • Works at an NHSC-approved site
    • Have qualified educational loans
  • NHSC-approved sites - Areas where there is a shortage of healthcare professionals. Shortages may be based on:
    • Geographic Area - A shortage of providers for the entire population within a defined geographic area.
    • Population groups - A shortage of providers for a specific population group(s) within a defined geographic area (e.g., low-income, migrant farmworkers, and other groups)
    • Facilities - Such as a correctional facility, state/county mental hospital, federally qualified health center


National Association of Social Workers – The profession’s organizing body, provides loan forgiveness options for students graduating with a Master’s degree in social work. NASW -- STUDENT LOAN FORGIVENESS FOR SOCIAL WORKERS

Scholarships (other)
HRSA’s Health Professions Scholarship provides financial aid to qualified American Indian and Alaska Native undergraduate and graduate-level students. 


  • Recipients must be members of federally recognized Tribes and enrolled in an eligible health profession degree program. Members of federally recognized Tribes are eligible, and you must submit documentation of American Indian/Alaska Native membership when you apply.
  • In exchange for financial aid, scholarship recipients agree to fulfill a service commitment in full-time clinical practice upon completing their academic or postgraduate clinical training.
    • IHS Program Contract = a minimum of 2 years of employment
    • One year of service per year of support for scholarship received (minimum of two years)
    • IHS scholarship opportunities are highly competitive, and there are no guarantees that you will receive an award. If you are applying for any IHS scholarships, continue your efforts to obtain financial aid from other sources.
  • Undergraduate and Graduate Level (Health Professions, IHCIA Section 104)
    • Chemical Dependency Counseling - Master's degree
    • Clinical Psychology - Ph.D. or PsyD
    • Counseling Psychology - Ph.D.
    • Dentistry - DDS or DMD degrees
    • Medicine - Allopathic or Osteopathic doctorate degrees
    • Nursing (BSN) - Bachelor of Science in Nursing
    • Nursing (NP, DNP) - Nursing Practitioner/Advanced Practice Nurse
    • Nursing (CRNA, CNM) - Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist, Certified Nurse Midwife
    • Optometry - OD
    • Pharmacy - PharmD
    • Physician Assistant - Certified Physician Assistant (PA-C)
    • Physical Therapy - MS and DPT
    • Podiatry - DPM
    • Social Work - Master's degree in concentration in direct or clinical practice
    • Environmental Engineering - BS (Junior and senior undergraduate only)
    • Environmental Health/Sanitarian - BS (Junior and senior undergraduate only)

Other available resources: