Interlibrary Loan (ILL) Policy
All current students, faculty and staff of Carroll College may use ILL services for free. Interlibrary loan services are not available to non-Carroll users. Please contact your local public library for interlibrary loan assistance.
What can I request through ILL?
Books, articles, dissertations, and book chapters are the most commonly requested items. Many libraries do not lend audiovisual materials, rare books, reference books, archival materials, or textbooks. We will, however, do our best to fulfill your request. Please note that we generally do not request the following items via ILL:
- Items available in full text in our databases
- Materials not related to research, such as textbooks
Placing an ILL Request or Renewal Request
There are two ways to place ILL Requests:
- If you find an item you need in Saints Search that Carroll College does not own, click the “Request via Interlibrary Loan” link, log into Tipasa via Okta, verify the information, add “needed before date,” and submit.
- If you have a citation for an item Carroll College does not own, log into Tipasa to place the request.
To renew an item:
- Log in to your Tipasa account
- Click “Checked Out/Renew Items” (Under “View” in the left hand navigational menu)
- Click on the transaction number of the item you would like to renew
- Click “Renew Request”
- Check back to see if your request has been approved
Please place renewal requests before the due date. Renewals are at the discretion of the lending institution; some libraries will not allow renewals, or cannot renew because someone at their institution needs the item. Please return the item by the original due date if a renewal is not granted.
Receiving and Returning Materials
- You will receive an email when your item(s) arrive.
- Articles are usually sent to the email address you provided when completing the ILL form.
- Books, periodicals, and other print materials may be picked up at the Corette Library circulation desk.
- Items not picked up are subject to a handling fee of no more than $8.00.
- Please return materials to a library staff member by the due date.
We cannot guarantee the arrival date of an item. The time it takes to receive ILL materials is variable, due to factors such as the processing time of lending libraries, the distance of a lending library, shipping delays, etc.
The Copyright Law of the United States (Title17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material.
Fees and Fines
Most ILL materials are free. Occasionally, lending libraries charge additional fees. In these cases, Corette Library may ask you to absorb part of the cost. Corette Library will never accept charges on your behalf without your prior agreement.
- Overdue ILL materials: $1.00 per item per day.
- Handling fee (no more than $8.00 per item): This applies to items that are requested, but not picked up.
- Lost or damaged items: We will charge you whatever the lending library deems appropriate, in addition to any fines you have accrued for the item. Fees are dependent upon the lending institution—some libraries charge flat rates, some charge replacement costs and processing fees.
Fines for returned items totaling over $5.00 will be sent to the Business Office at the end of each semester. If your fines for returned items total under $10.00 at the end of the academic year, they will be forgiven. We cannot forgive fines for items that have not been returned.
Email questions about interlibrary loan to email@example.com