Current Student Information

Maintaining F1 or J1 status

As an international student, we want you to reap the rewards that come with studying in the US. Please know that we are here to answer your questions. This handout serves to remind you of your rights and responsibilities as an F1 or J1 student living in the US.

Get Your I-94 Admission Number

In order to obtain your I-94 admission number, which is needed for employment in the US, please go to the CBP website and enter the required information.

On-Campus Work Permission

International students are allowed to work on campus for up to 20 hours during the academic year and up to 40 hours during the breaks (fall, spring, winter and summer).  Before you can work on campus, you must secure a job offer and submit the  on campus work permission form to the Global Learning Office - Borromeo Hall 110. This allows us to assist you in obtaining a tax ID/social security number. No social security number can be issued without a job offer.

Off-Campus Work Including OPT

Students who have been in lawful status for 12 months may apply to work off-campus. 

Students who are planning to graduate should consider the F1 student benefit of Optional Practical Training (OPT), which is granted for 12 months and, in the STEM fields, 18 months. 

For any off-campus work permission, including OPT or CPT, please make an appointment with Wes Feist, Asst. Director of Career Services.  Appointments can be made through Handshake.  

Visa Renewal

Visas can expire while you are a student in good standing. Visas do not have to remain current for you to maintain lawful status. However, your F1 or J1 visa MUST be valid for re-entry into the US. If you plan to travel outside of the US and your visa has expired, you must apply for a new one at the nearest US embassy or consulate in the country you are visiting.