For students completing a Health Sciences or Public Health major, the internship experience is an essential way to gain practical experience. This internship is an on-the-job learning process completed under the guidance of a Cooperating Organization, supervised by a Carroll faculty member.
Clinics and agencies realize that they can make a significant contribution to the quality of their future programs by assisting in the educational process of future employees. Those organizations that open their doors to interns accept the professional task of providing a meaningful experience by maintaining high expectations of the interning students.
A successful internship experience requires three key factors:
- An intern who realizes and fulfills responsibilities and commitments
- Organizations that provide a supportive work environment conducive to the learning experience
- Appropriate supervision from both the Cooperating Organization and the Department of Health Sciences at Carroll College
The intern must reflect the policies and standards of the Cooperating Organization and Department of Health Sciences. The value of the personal experience gained by the intern depends on his/her contribution to assisting the organization in obtaining its objectives.
This guide contains internship policies and procedures, contractual agreements, internship reporting forms, and evaluation reports that will help ensure that the intern receives a high-quality practical experience and that the cooperating organization, in turn, will benefit from the performance, skills, and information provided by the intern.
Sports Medicine Internship Program
Carroll College Health Sciences program in conjunction with the Athletic Trainer Program can offer three different opportunities for field experience within Sports Medicine.
- Internship for Credit: Junior or Senior status, internship for 1-3 credits
- Job shadowing for hours needed to apply for a specific advanced degrees (AT, PT, PA, OT, etc.)
- Student Employment: Work/Study eligible or student wages. Work experience within Carroll’s Health Sciences Department