An Extraordinary Experience
Students at Carroll have many opportunities and ways to study abroad during their time here, but students in the French and Francophone Studies Program have the extraordinary opportunity to study abroad at the Université Catholique de l’Ouest in Angers, France.
There, students study at an internationally known private institution in France, and are integrated directly into UCO's regular programming, side-by-side with students from France and all over the European Union and beyond.
Carroll students are placed in home stays with a French family, with whom they eat two meals a day and forge a lifelong bond. UCO offers a number of weekend excursions throughout France, and courses in almost any subject area you could dream of.
Carroll students can attend UCO through one of three paths:
- At the Centre International d’Études Françaises (CIDEF), students are placed in French language classrooms appropriate to their current level of French ability, and hone their language skills through hours of coursework, cultural excursions, and conversations over meals with homestay families.
- At the School of International Business within UCO, Carroll undergraduates can take courses in English at either the Masters or Bachelors level, getting to know their French classmates intimately through a shared interest in finance and international relations.
- Students who already speak French at an advanced level take courses in French in any discipline they choose, from Chemistry to Education to Environmental Studies to Theology to Journalism.
I think I grew more as a person, in that I discovered new things about myself and got to explore France on my own.
- Cameron Herriges, Angers 2018
I think the more important part for general students is that it [study abroad] really represents a sort of growth into adulthood since it requires a lot of self-reliance and courage to put yourself in a situation that is very alien.
- Parker Gunderson, Angers 2018
If you have any questions about study abroad, we’d be happy to put you in contact with a Study Abroad Ambassador!
The French & Francophone Studies Program offers up to five scholarships of $1000 a year for students to study abroad in France.
- Be majoring or minoring in French & Francophone Studies, with preference given to majors
- Spend a semester or a year at Carroll’s partner university, the Université Catholique de l’Ouest (UCO)
- Display a commitment to global education and engagement prior to departure
- Upon return, be an advocate for foreign language study, intercultural awareness, and study abroad