Professor - Music
Lynn L. Petersen has composed and arranged music for orchestra, band, jazz ensemble, chamber ensembles, choir, voice, piano, organ, and music for liturgy and worship. Her jazz chart Three Way Stop was recorded by the Washington State University Jazz Band and released in 2012 on Zoot Suit by WSU Recordings. Four Songs for soprano and violoncello, based on poetry by Ed Noonan, was commissioned by Diagenesis in 2011 and has been performed in Helena, St. Paul, Chicago, Boston and San Diego. Other grants and commissions include the American Guild of Organists, Carroll College and Montana State Music Teachers Association. Petersen was one of the Montana composers featured at Big Sky Alive! in 2014, 2015 and 2016. Her compositions are published by Augsburg Fortress, Concordia Publishing House, GIA Publications, Northwestern Publishing House, and Pelican Music Publishers.
Dr. Petersen is Professor of Music at Carroll College in Helena, Montana, where she has taught since 1999. She has also taught at St. Olaf College, the University of Minnesota, and St. Cloud State University, and she has held church music positions in the Twin Cities and Colorado Springs. She has over thirty-five years of experience teaching and performing and frequently serves as an adjudicator at music festivals.
Petersen earned a Ph.D. in Music Theory and Composition from the University of Minnesota, a Master of Church Music degree from Concordia College-River Forest, and a B.S. in Elementary Education from Dr. Martin Luther College. Her composition teachers have included Dominick Argento, Paul Fetler, Richard Hillert, Carl Schalk and Greg Yasinitsky.
- Abide with Me: Hymns of the Faith. Five hymns arranged for organ.
- Organ prelude on "Eventide" in Augsburg Organ Library: Healing and Funeral
- Hark the Glad Sound! Carols for Organ. Ten organ preludes based on Advent and Christmas hymns.
- In Royal David's City: Carols for Piano. Ten arrangements of Advent and Christmas hymns.
- Organ prelude on "Jesus, Jesus, nichts als Jesus" in Organ Music for the Seasons, Volume 3
- Partita on “Good Christian Friends, Rejoice and Sing!” in Organ Music for the Seasons, Volume 2
- Starry Crown Suite and More: Hymn Tune Settings. Ten hymns arranged for organ.
- Thankfulness and Praise. Ten hymns arranged for organ.
- Whirlwind Duo in Pipings for Flute and Organ
- "Quelle est cette odeur agréable" for oboe and organ in Organ Plus Anthology Vol. 2: Advent and Christmas
- "Une jeune pucelle" for violin and organ in Organ Plus Anthology Vol. 2: Advent and Christmas
- Organ prelude on "Jesaia dem Propheten" in Augsburg Organ Library: Reformation
- Organ prelude on "Laudate Dominum" in Hymn Prelude Library: Lutheran Service Book, Vol. 6 (JKL)
- Organ prelude on "Mfurahini Haleluya" in Hymn Prelude Library: Lutheran Service Book, Vol. 7 (M)
- Organ prelude on "Rathbun" in Hymn Prelude Library: Lutheran Service Book, Vol. 9 (PQR)
- Organ prelude on "Wojtkiewiecz" in Hymnal Supplement 98 Organ Prelude Edition, Volume 4
- Organ preludes on "Joyous Light" and "Woodlands" in Hymnal Supplement 98 Organ Prelude Edition, Volume 5
- Organ preludes on "Sojourner," "Were You There" and "Toda la tierra" in Laudate! Volume Six
- Spiritual Sounds for Trombone and Organ. Three African-American spirituals arranged for organ and trombone or treble instrument.
- Variations on “O Come, Little Children” for organ
- Blest Be the Tie that Binds, arrangement for voice and piano
- Lamb of God, Pure and Holy, arrangement for SAB and piano
- Love in Christ Is Strong and Living, arrangement for voice and piano
- We All Believe in One True God, arrangement for 2-part choir, violin and piano
- Organ prelude on "Amazing Grace" in An Old Melody: Eight Folk Hymn Preludes for Organ
- Suite on "For Builders Bold Whose Vision Pure", for alto recorder and keyboard
- Organ prelude on "For Years on Years of Matchless Grace" in 22 Hymn Preludes for Organ
- God, We Praise You!, arrangement for SATB choir, congregation, organ, trumpet and handbells
- God’s Own Son, Most Holy, arrangement for 2-part choir, violin and piano
- When God the Spirit Came, concertato setting for choir, congregation, organ and brass
- Brass Tasks, for brass quintet
- Capriccio, for flute and piano
- Chicken Scratches on a Turkey Theme, for violin and piano
- Pastorale, for flute and piano
- Sonata No. 1, for trumpet and piano
- Sonata No. 2, for trumpet and piano
- Piano Trio (2016), premiered by Megan Karls, Griffin Browne and Marlene Anderson at Big Sky Alive!, Kalispell, MT, June 18, 2016.
- High Country Suite (2009) for string quartet, premiered by the Cascade Quartet, Great Falls, MT, January 31 and February 2, 2016.
- Four Songs (2011) for soprano and violoncello, performed by Elizabeth Croy and Julia Cory Slovarp at Big Sky Alive!, Kalispell, MT, June 20, 2015.
- Gloria! (2014) for SATB choir, premiered by the Carroll College Choirs, Cathedral of St. Helena, December 14, 2014.
- Chicken Scratches on a Turkey Theme (1990) for violin and piano, performed by Megan Karls and Lynn Petersen at Big Sky Alive!, Helena, MT, June 23, 2014.
- Four Songs (2011) for soprano and violoncello, performed by Diagenesis in Lewistown and Helena, MT, March 2014, and San Diego in October 2013.
- Green Apples (2013) for jazz band, premiered by the Carroll College Jazz Band, November 14, 2013.
- Carroll College Choirs, 2014 - Gloria! for SATB choir
- Diagenesis, 2011 - Four Songs for soprano and violoncello
- Carroll College Centennial, 2009 - Patterned for Thee for soprano and piano
- American Guild of Organists, 2007 - Starry Crown Suite for organ
- Yavapai College Brass Quartet, 2007 - Three brass quartet arrangements of Für Elise, Gentle Annie, and Oh! Susanna
- Montana State Music Teachers Association, 2006 - Mary Dyer, Martyr for mezzo-soprano and piano
- Dr. Nancy Cooper, organist, 2005 - His Eye Is on the Sparrow for organ
- Myrna Loy Center Grant-to-Artists, 2004 - Whirlwind Duo for flute and organ
- American Guild of Organists, 2003 - Amazing Grace for organ
- Yavapai College Symphony Orchestra, 2000 - Season of Hope
- Royal Brass, 1998 - Brass Tasks for brass quintet
- University of Minnesota and the Jerome Foundation, 1994 - Piano-Mania for piano
- Three Way Stop - performed by the Washington State University Jazz Band on Zoot Suit (WSU Recordings), 2012
- What Child Is This? (voice, piano, flute, violin, cello) - performed by Kevin Loersch and friends on O Holy Night, 2006
- Blest Be the Tie that Binds - performed by Kevin Loersch on Abide with Me, 2004
- Love in Christ Is Strong and Living - performed by Kevin Loersch on Abide with Me, 2004
To download a song, right click a link below and choose "Save Link As..." or "Save Target As..."