Montana Math Modeling Challenge
Montana Math Modeling Challenge, Oct. 26-27, Simperman Hall/Fortin Science Center, Carroll College
For the sixth year in a row, Carroll College is hosting the Montana Math Modeling Challenge (MMMC) this weekend, October 26-27. The MMMC is a 24-hour regional modeling contest for undergraduate students. Teams are presented with two open ended, real world problems and have one day to choose and solve one of them using any resources they can find except for other people. (This is a similar style of competition on a regional level as the international mathematical contest that a Carroll team placed within the top seven percent worldwide this past spring.)
This year's contest will include 13 teams of three undergraduates each, representing four schools from three different states – four teams from Carroll, five from MSU Bozeman, three from Washington State and one from University of Idaho.
This event is just one of many excellent opportunities to showcase the types of problems our students are able to help solve through a combination of math, statistics, computing and data science. It is an extension of our Math in the Mountains course in which Carroll students work with non-profits, businesses and government entities in town to use real world applications to solve a business problem.
For this year’s MMMC, Carroll has partnered with a number of local businesses who are providing food and beverages as well as monetary support including St. Peter’s Health, TriHydro Engineering, Starbucks, Cinemark, Big Dipper Ice Cream, Vann’s Thriftway and Safeway. In addition, professionals from companies in Helena are providing judging assistance and support.
St. Peter’s Health is a major donor to the contest this year. The St. Peter’s Health Data Analytics team provided one of the two questions being presented to the teams as well as serving as judges.
The competition begins at 10:00 am on Saturday, October 26, and teams have until 10:00 am Sunday, October 27, to complete their work. Awards will be announced at 1:00 pm on Sunday, October 27.
Schedule of events:
Saturday, October 26, 2019
- 9:15 am - Teams arrive/registration (Fortin Science Center Scola)
- 9:45 am - Opening remarks including contest instructions (Simperman Hall/Weigand Amphitheatre)
- 10:00 am - Competition Begins
Saturday, October 27, 2019
- 9:00 am - Summaries due (teams submit summaries electronically)
- 10:00 am - Competition work period ends (teams submit presentations electronically)
- 10:00 am - 10:30 am - Break
- 10:30 am - Teams give presentations in sub-groups
- 12:00 pm - Finalists give presentations to large group (Simperman Hall/Weigand Amphitheatre)
- 1:00 pm - Award ceremony/closing remarks
More information can be found at the MMMC website.