If an individual informs you of suicidal thoughts or a suicide attempt--or of knowledge of the suicidal thoughts or a suicide attempt of another person--please offer the individual the following:
- Confirm that 911 has been contacted if the situation warrants doing so.
- Confirm that the on-call Residential Life & Housing person has been contacted at 406.459.0540.
- Stay at the scene and try to calm the suicidal person.
- Obtain as much information as possible: Name, location, time, method used (e.g. alcohol, other drugs, firearm, etc.), use of alcohol and/or other drugs, amount and type of drugs consumed, reason or suspected reason for the attempt.
- Take action as needed (e.g. securing the scene, gathering witness statements, accompanying student to hospital).