Hazardous Materials

In case of a spillage of hazardous chemicals or radioactive materials on or near campus, these procedures should be followed:

  1. Evacuate the building. Utilize floor leaders in the Building Action Team to move occupants of the building to the assembly location to account for missing individuals.
  2. Call 911.
  3. Attempt to isolate those who were contaminated in the spill by keeping them in a room for Emergency Responders. If in Fortin Science Center, use the chemical spill showers found on first and second floors to assist individuals who may have had chemicals or hazardous materials make contact with their skin.
  4. Notify the Chemical Safety Coordinator, Dr. Kyle Strode, in the Chemistry Department, at 406.447.5564, of the incident.
  5. Notify the Facilities Department of the incident at 406.447.5420.
  6. Do not return to an evacuated building unless authorized by Emergency Responders or the college's Emergency Response Team.

Chemical Hygiene Plan

The Chemical Hygiene Plan (CHP) has been developed for Carroll College and is also available to laboratory employees in Room 114 in the Fortin Center, Room 218 in Simperman Hall and the Carroll Facilities Office. The CHP sets forth procedures, equipment, personal protective equipment and work practices that are capable of protecting employees from the health hazards presented by chemicals. Download the Chemical Hygiene Plan.