Special Education (P-12) Minor
Special Education Minor
The Special Education (P-12) minor prepares students to teach students with disabilities at all school grade levels. The program focuses on the content of the discipline, as well as, the pedagogical skills necessary for teaching in a school classroom. In order to teach with a minor, students must also have an Education major in another area. Students majoring in Elementary Education (K-8) should also consider the Elementary Education (K-8) and Special Education (P-12) Combined major.
See the Special Education (P-12) minor list of degree and course requirements in our online academic catalog.
- Demonstrate an attitude of professionalism through
- his/her behavior as a role model to students;
- continuing self-development;
- ethical behavior;
- peer support;
- contributions to the growth of the profession.
- Maintain healthy student/teacher relationships.
- Exhibit continued enthusiasm for teaching profession.
- Have appropriate relationships with administrators, teachers, support personnel, parents, and other community members.
- Be encouraged to participate in community service.
- Project a positive self-image.
- Appreciate the whole person by recognizing the uniqueness of each individual student.
- Classroom management and coping
- Classroom motivation and interaction
- Planning and lesson design
- Teaching strategies
- Instructional decision making
- Problem-solving inquiry
- Student diagnosis
- Media and technology resource
- Effective peer group interaction
- Effective listening, speaking, reading, writing, thinking, and viewing.
- Content (subject matter)
- Law and ethics
- Referral systems
- Instruction of the special child
- Child development, sociology, learning theory, self-concepts, philosophies of education.
- Comprehension, analysis, and evaluation of print and nonprint information and messages.
- Standard conventions of writing and speaking
- Analysis of literature and fine arts.
- Social studies
- Connecting learning with workforce and fulfillment of living In addition to the above