Why Major in Classical Studies?
Why get a degree in Classical studies? The answer may surprise you. In the March 2010 edition of Psychology Today, Katharine Brooks, Ed.D. details why every student should consider a degree in this field. (Dr. Brooks is the Director of Liberal Arts Career Services at The University of Texas at Austin). In this article, Brooks sites several examples of how successful people have benefitted from their knowledge of Classics. Some of those include an article from Forbes Magazine entitled How the Past Can Guide Your Future, a YouTube clip from the National Committee for Latin and Greek on the value of studying an ancient language, and an excellent book from former Walt Disney story consultant Christopher Vogler on the benefits studying the past.
Again, don't miss this article - it make you think and answer the question, "How am I going to apply my knowledge, mindsets and skills in the workplace?"
The Classics: Alive and Well!
- Classics in the News (APA)
- Ancient World News (National Geographic)
- Opinion: "Majoring in the classics gives students an edge" (USA TODAY College: Published May 7th, 2012)
- "Ivy League school janitor graduates with honors" (Assoc. Press, Sun. May 13, 2012)
- "Knowing Ourselves: How the Classics Strengthen Schools and Society" (AMERICAN EDUCATOR – Summer 2012)