Important Information Regarding the Library Renovation
About the Construction
The new Library Learning Commons will be a state-of-the-art learning center where students can engage with each other and support staff and find space for individual or group study. The transformation of the library into a learning commons will begin with the renovation of the lower floor starting May 16, 2018 and continuing through the Fall. We are doing our best to keep the library’s resources accessible for the Carroll community during the renovation, and we ask for your patience during this period. Because this adds to the workload of our reduced staff, we also ask that you give us a little extra time to process reserves as well as ILL, purchase, and copyright requests.
- Starting May 16, the books will be boxed and moved to offsite storage. The move should be completed by May 22.
- Only library staff will have direct access to the books in storage.
- Carroll students, faculty, and staff can place requests for books using Saints Search. The library staff will retrieve the books from storage and place them on the hold shelf at the circulation desk. Patrons will receive an email when items are ready for pick-up. We hope to retrieve books once a day, Monday-Friday, allowing us to deliver requested items the next business day (with the exception of weekends). Please see the section below for detailed instructions on how to place a request for a book.
- We will not be able to begin fulfilling requests until May 23, or when the move is completed.
- Only the material downstairs is affected by the construction this summer and fall. You will not need to request DVDs, reference material, or print periodicals.
- The archives is not readily accessible, but we will try to accommodate requests.
- The construction company will be placing a door at the base of the stairs to limit noise and dust, but the upper floor is still likely to be noisy and a little dusty. Air conditioning in the building will be offline for a portion of the summer, but we don’t know the exact time frame.
- All downstairs areas in the library, including study rooms, will be inaccessible.
How To Place a Request For a Book
2. Click on the title of a book that interests you to view more details.
3. Under the section marked "Other Full-Text Options", click "Sign in" and log into the system using your Carroll College username and password.
4. You should now be signed in. Under the section marked "Other Full-Text Options", you will see a label "Request Options". Click "Place a hold".
5. A small form will appear on the page, and will be labeled "Details of title you requested:". The pickup location will be marked "Carroll College Library" by default, and may not be changed (you will be emailed when the item you have requested is available and able to be picked up at the circulation desk). If you need the book before a certain date, you can indicate that date using the "Not Needed After" field on the form. If you have any additional instructions, please include them in the "Comment" field.
6. Click "Request"
7. Your screen will show the confirmation text "Request placed. Place in queue is #", with a number. A place in queue of "0" indicates that there are no other outstanding requests for this particular item, and you are first in line to receive it as soon as it is available for pickup.
8. The library staff will retrieve all books that you request from storage and place them on the hold shelf at the circulation desk. You will receive an email when items are ready for pick-up. Requests will be processed Monday-Friday, and will be available for pickup the next business day (with the exception of weekends). Please remember to bring your Carroll College ID to the circulation desk when picking up your items.