Mind Body Spirit
It is hard to believe that we have been publishing the Mind Body Spirit e-newsletter for almost a year now. We developed it at the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic as a simple way to connect with our alumni, parents, and friends since it was unlikely we would be able to gather in person for a while. The content was focused on small ways for us to support your mind, body, and spirit in this period of social distancing.
As we look to the future, we need to decide if we will continue with this newsletter and if so, how we can improve it. Part of our goal was to have our alumni and friends share their knowledge and talents with the rest of the Carroll community. I believe that input from others will be the key to keeping this newsletter interesting and relevant if we continue publishing it. For example, if you have just seen a special video, article, or podcast that you believe would be interesting to others in our community, please feel free to share your suggestions with our office by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
As part of our evaluation of the Mind Body Spirit newsletter, we have developed a short survey that will not take more than a couple of minutes to complete. The link to this survey will take you directly to the form and we ask that you complete it no later than Friday, February 19.
This week we are proud to share these resources:
Toufic El Rassi is the author of Arab in America, a coming-of-age graphic memoir that documents his lived experiences and sheds light on the racism and unconscious biases that he has systematically encountered as an Arab American. Carroll senior Josh Turner was so moved by the memoir – especially the depiction of the harmful impact of unconscious bias – that he reached out to the author who graciously agreed to speak with him. Watch the interview here.
Creating an island of calm for yourself will only ensure that you find peace when others around you are running around with their hair on fire! Read this article here and learn important ways to do so!
Watch this short YouTube video for a reminder to stay hopeful as goodness does exist, even when we begin to feel hopeless. View it here.
Wishing you all the best in these last couple of months of winter.
Take care and stay healthy!
Director of Alumni & Community Engagement
Office of Institutional Advancement
- Week 24: Gretchen Rubin: "What We See Depends Very Much on Where We Stand"
- Week 23: "Star of Bethlehem" light show
- Week 22: Saturday Night Live Christmas
- Week 21: Dr. Katherine Greiner's Exploring St. Bonaventure's The Soul's Journey into God presentation
- Week 20:
- Week 19: Día de los Muertos.
- Week 18: Dr. Fregulia's "First Taste of Chocolate in the Ivory Coast" video.
- Week 17: Carroll History Room and Simperman Learning Commons launch.
- Week 16: Send ideas for Spirit Weekend
- Week 15: None
- Week 14: Article from alumnae Katherine Skillestad Winans '90.
- Week 13: "Maskin' a Smile" is sure to make you smile.
- Week 12: Gavin Cummings '19 shares his witty perspective on the "Sign of Peace"
- Week 11: Jason DeShaw, '03 PTSD and other mental challenges livestream
- Week 10: People's list of books to escape
- Week 9: Faculty podcasts from the library's "Carroll Creates" page.
- Week 8: Chemistry professor Dr. John Rowley chemical reaction presentation. Plus, great photos from the Chemistry department.
- Week 7: Listen to this gratitude meditation, and learn how to practice mindful gratefulness.
- Week 6: Check out old Prospectors and Hilltoppers
- Week 5: Dr. Jeanette Fregulia lecture: "Coffee, for an addict like me, is the key to the day"
- Week 4: Dr. Meyer: Fur, Fins, Feathers, and the Love of God: Introducing Ecological Theology
- Week 3: COVID-19 Presentations and Q/A
- Week 2: A Dream Escape
- Week 1: Innovative distance learning
- Week 24: Marketing & Communications: Christmas traditions and gifts
- Week 23: Casey's YouTube recordings
- Week 22: Curtis Grevenitz: A few ways to enjoy the outdoors!
- Week 21: A semester unlike any other!
- Week 20:
- Week 19: "Tiptoe through the Tulips?" with Carolyn Radakovich '05.
- Week 18: How the Pandemic is Changing our Exercise Habits
- Week 17: The virtual 2020 Founders Gala
- Week 16: Saints Shoppe Sale
- Week 15: None
- Week 14: Easy challenges to help you spend time productively and lift your spirits!
- Week 13: CAMP Director Brad Maddock '12 gets you ready for an overnight backpacking trip.
- Week 12: Dan '07 and Andrea '06 Thies have mastered the art of making cheese from goat's milk.
- Week 11: 8 foods that may help you catch a little more shut-eye during these uncertain times
- Week 10: Podcast #235, "Meditating in a Pandemic" from "Ten Percent Happier"
- Week 9: Use #ccmbs and #
carrollcollegemindbodyspirit to share what you recently tried.
- Week 8: Sleeping Well Ted Talk
- Week 7: Devan Hromchik '16 shares her thoughts about why she finds the practice of BodyFlow important.
- Week 6: Make this kite or this this kite or this paper airplane.
- Week 5: Making Health and Nutrition a Priority During the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic and Harvard School of Public Health
- Week 4: Laurie Gaffney: Mindful experience.
- Week 3: Deb O'Neill: Oula on Facebook
- Week 2: Katie Astle Goedde Facebook workout
- Week 1: Sunday Funday Family Work In
- Week 24: Nick Pacella: "The Importance of Human Connection in Palliative Care"
- Week 23: Madeleine L'Engle: Christmas Poem
- Week 22:
- Week 21: Katherine Skillestad Winans Thanksgiving prayer
- Week 20:
- Week 19: 25% Carroll Spirit Wear with the code "Spooktakular20"
- Week 18: 2010 National Championship Football game
- Week 17: Carroll named #1 Regional College in the West by US News
- Week 16: 911 Blood Drive
- Week 15: Monsignor Kevin O'Neill '73 offered a prayer for all of the campus community
- Week 14: A prayer for the beginning of a new school year.
- Week 13: Road trip playlist. iTunes or Spotify
- Week 12: Recipe for "S'Mores Indoors"
- Week 11: Golden Grad Joe Petkewich, '70 Carroll memories
- Week 10: Kyle Baker '06, SJ, posted a beautiful conversation he had with God
- Week 9: Alumna Maureen "Moe" Boyle's '93, son is a talented violinist and holds live weekly concerts
- Week 8: Share a message with Candie Cain in the spirit of joy
- Week 7: Start a gratitude journal
- Week 6: Carroll grad, Dan Thies, 2007, concert
- Week 5: "Purple and Gold in Black and White" – Carroll student art show.
- Week 4: #CarrollMindBodySpirit and #CCMBS
- Week 3:
- Week 2: Fr. Marc: Meaningful message
- Week 1: Fr. Marc: Campus Ministry page