New Student Orientation
August 24-26, 2017
We’re very excited to welcome you to campus this fall! The New Student Orientation is designed to provide you with essential information related to academic requirements and campus resources at Carroll. In addition, orientation activities provide you the opportunity to make valuable connections with current faculty, staff and students.
The freshman experience at Carroll is designed to integrate students into our energetic learning environment while fostering new friendships and connections. In the Alpha Seminars, students learn critical reading, writing and thinking skills in a small seminar-style class. The year begins with a relevant piece of literature read by the entire freshman class which sets the stage for meaningful discussion throughout the semester. Alpha Seminars are led by professors from across the academic spectrum. They serve as advisors to students by providing close faculty/student interaction and academic counseling throughout the year.
Freshman Orientation shapes new students’ experiences by encouraging new friendships, facilitate students discovering Helena, and absorbing a key part of the Carroll experience—helping others.
New Student Orientation
Carroll College would like to invite all new and transfer students--and their families--to join us for New Student Orientation. The student orientation program will be held from Thursday, August 24 through Sunday, August 27. The parent orientation program will be held from Thursday evening, August 24, through Friday morning, August 25. Move-in day is Thursday, August 24. For more information on New Student Orientation, contact Patrick Harris, Director of Student Activities and Leadership, at 406.447.4380 or on email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Welcome Week Activities
As part of the orientation process there are a number of welcome week events offered which allow students to meet new friends and become familiar with Carroll and the Helena Community.
- Monday, August 28 - Title IX Seminar with Kelly Parsley
- Monday, August 28 - Target After Dark
- Tuesday, August 29 – Movie Night (free)
- Wednesday, August 30 - Club Fair and Open House from 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm in All Saints Hall. This is when you will sign up for clubs, sign up to be a part of the Carroll College Programming Board and also have the chance to talk to banks and other vendors in the Helena area.
- Thursday, August 31 – Hike Mount Helena at 5:30pm (Meet in the Upper Cube)
- Friday, September 1 - Community Living BBQ, Slip N Slide (free)
- Saturday, September 2 - Carroll Night at the Helena Brewers Baseball Game (Free)
- Sunday, September 3 - New Rafting Trip down the Alberton Gorge (CAMP)
- Monday, September 4 - Upper Class Rafting Trip down the Alberton Gorge (CAMP)
- September 8-10 - Freshman Retreat (Legendary Lodge)
- September 15-17 - New Student Backpacking Trip (CAMP)
Helpful Tips for Orientation
- Dress comfortably. Students and parents will be dressed in casual clothes for Move-In Day and orientation. Wear comfortable shoes or sandals.
- Stay hydrated. Think about bringing a water bottle that you can refill between walks to campus buildings.
- Arrive early. Check-in for Guad Hall and St. Charles Hall begins at 10:00am on Move-In Day. Give yourself time to get unpacked before the orientation program starts at 4:00pm.
- Eat regular meals. Eat breakfast, lunch and dinner on Move-In Day to stay energized for unpacking, meeting new people and attending programs.
- Introduce yourself. Introduce yourself to everyone you meet, sit next to in a program, or visit with while sitting outside between sessions.
- Run errands. Know that you will have time to shop locally in Helena for room supplies, toiletries and groceries. Use free time to run errands.
- Ask questions. Ask any and all questions that you may have. If you need more time with a presenter, approach the speaker after a session is concluded.
- Have fun. Whether you are a new student or the parent of a new student, enjoy the start of this adventure at Carroll College!