WAYS PARENTS CAN HELP
- Most importantly, honor their independence.
- Recognize that they are learning a whole new set of skills.
- Support them rather than doing it for them. Aim for guidance, not pressure.
- Reinforce the importance of starting early, and the importance of beginning to build up experience.
- Help them find and establish contacts.
- Reassure them that it is OK not to know what all of their career/ educational goals are, but that it is important to begin taking action.
Encourage your son/daughter:
- To think ahead;
- To visit Career Services early in his/her college career;
- To do an internship--or two!
- Seek an interesting summer experience;
- Get to know professors;
- Become involved in campus activities and organizations, and
- Eventually take on leadership roles;
- To take the one-credit Career Development course as a freshman or sophomore student;
- To take the one-credit Job Campaign course as a junior or senior, which teaches students how to effectively navigate the job search.