Things Parents Should Know
What Parents Need to Know
Parents are the # 1 influence on their son’s/daughter’s educational and career choice
OTHER INFLUENCES INCLUDE:
- Major/field of study
- Job market trends
- Internships/summer jobs
- School related activities
KEEP IN MIND
- Experience is the key. Summer jobs, internships, and volunteering all are important.
- Job seeking methods have changed somewhat, but not as much as one might think. The Internet is not enough--networking is still the most important activity.
- Career decision making is a process and takes time.
- The earlier students become involved in the process, the better.
- Students often postpone their decisions, often because they do not want to take the time to do it, but also because they are not ready. It is important that you are there to encourage them along the way.