BUSINESS ETHICS: COURSE OUTLINE
Introduction to the Course
Ethics and Business Ethics
- Business Ethics (Jackson, Introduction)
- Nature of Ethics and Ethical Problems (Solomon, Introduction; Badaracco,
- Rules and virtues (Jackson, Chs 1-3; Badarraco, Ch 4 & 5)
- Debate #1: Does Ethics Matter in Business?
Business, the Common Good, Business and the Common Good
- The nature of business (Solomon, Part I)
- Capitalism and Ethics (Solomon, Part
- Defending Capitalism (Jackson, Ch 4)
- Debate #2: Does the market teach us Virtue?
- Management as a profession
- The nature of property
Business and the Human Person; Respecting Human Dignity
Case analysis methodologies
- The Concept of Good practice (Jackson Ch 8)
- Good practice inside the firm (Jackson, Ch 9)
- Hiring and Firing
- Sexual harassment
- Corporate culture (Badaracco, Ch 7)
- Debate #3: Does Blowing the Whistle Violate Company Loyalty?
- Good practice outside the firm (Jackson, Ch 10)
- Advertising and marketing
- Debate #4: Is Advertising Fundamentally Deceptive?
- Negotiating with Society (Badaracco, Ch 8)
- Shareholders and creditors
- International business