Carroll College, Helena Montana


Looking for Government Documents?

Our detailed guide will walk you through the most common places to look for U.S. Federal and State documents and publications.  Click here to go there now.

Can't find what you are looking for, or need additional help? You can always get assistance by asking a librarian!

Government Information at the Corette Library

FDLP LogoThe Corette Library is a Federal Depository Library and a Partial Depository Library for Montana. The library has stewardship over a limited collection of current and historical publications produced by the federal government, and the library offers reference and research services to help people find, access, and use government information. This collection and these services are available to the Carroll College community and to the general public.

As a depository library, we are committed to equity of access and dedicated to the free and unrestricted public use of government information. The library is open to the public. Carroll College affiliates and Montana residents may check out most government publications.  The library offers mediated internet access for members of the public to access federal government websites. All library users, including users of depository information, must abide by the library policy for conduct and library guest use policy.

About the Collection

The Corette Library became a federal depository library in 1974. The library has acquired and maintains documents produced by the government. The library also incorporates links to newer, digital government reports into the library catalog.

These publications cover a broad array of subjects and serve many purposes. Here are some examples:

  • Selected Congressional Reports
  • Scientific reports on forestry, geology, health, and anthropology
  • Pamphlets on government programs and pamphlets with guidance to the public on issues of the day
  • Statistics on most aspects of American life

About the Services

For the Carroll community:

  • help locating Federal government information in print at Carroll and other Depositories.  Materials at other libraries may be requested through interlibrary loan (ILL) via the online ILL form or at the Circulation Desk.
  • help locating Federal government information online, through research databases, the Library catalog, and browsers.
  • instruction in access and use of government publications to individuals, groups, and classes .

For the general public:

  • help locating print Federal government information at Carroll and other Depositories.  Materials at other libraries may be requested through interlibrary loan at the public library.
  • help locating online Federal government information with the help of a reference librarian (access to the Carroll network is restricted to the Carroll Community).  A librarian is usually available to the public:
    • Monday-Thursday 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.,
    • Friday 9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
    • Sunday noon - 6:00 p.m.  For assistance outside of those hours, contact the library at:

 (406) 447-4340

  • A librarian will facilitate printing ($.10/page b&w, $.25/page color), sending discovered information by email, or downloading information to a flash drive.

 For additional information, see the Subject Guide to Government Documents.


The Library's hours of operation, including hours for the general public and holiday and other special hours, may be accessed from our website.  Access to the government documents collection outside of our public hours may be arranged by contacting the Library.

Library Guides

The Government Information Library Guide provides information about the collection and links to key government sites for research.