Help Writing the Thesis
View our Honors Thesis Guide.
Requirements For Submission to the Library
Students writing the thesis: you are required to grant the Carroll College Library perpetual non-exclusive right to reproduce, copy, and distribute your thesis at the time of filing.
- April 1, 2014 is the deadline for submission of an Honors Thesis to the library.
- Honors theses are to be delivered to the library electronically by submitting a PDF file with "Thesis" and student's name in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org on April 1st. In order to be accepted, a thesis must include the following elements in a single PDF file:
- a scan of the signed Signature page
- an abstract
- the thesis itself
The Library can help students with merging multiple documents into a single PDF; please see the Library staff in advance of submission for assistance with this. Students may also use software to accomplish this, such as PDF SAM (available in the Library Computer Lab). Help for PDF SAM is also available.
- The thesis itself should be saved directly into electronic PDF format from your word processor (i.e. Microsoft Word). Scans of entire theses made from a physical printout will not be accepted (however, scans of the signature page and any drawings, images, figures, or graphs are accepted; these must be merged into the PDF document in the correct order).
- The thesis should include an abstract (<250 words).
- The thesis must be in technically perfect form. Students should check with their directors regarding the department's required style manual. Quality and accuracy of the thesis is determined by the thesis director; format must accord with Library guidelines. Top and bottom margins must be one (1) inch; left and right margins must be one and one-quarter (1 1/4) inches. Pages should be numbered. Check style manuals for additional requirements.
- Any drawings, figures, photographs, and MP3 files are acceptable. Video files are also accepted; please see the Library staff in advance if your thesis includes a video file, so that we may make necessary accommodations.
- All scanned elements (including images and the signature page) must be made using a high resolution, e.g. 300 dpi.
- A sample of the required Signature page is provided on a separate sheet of instructions. Each signature page must have original signatures from the thesis director and readers. This signature page must be scanned as part of the complete PDF file electronically submitted to the library via e-mail.
- The student will be notified by email when the Library has reviewed and approved the PDF file. The student should then bring a Final Approval form to the library for signed approval indicating that the thesis meets Library requirements.
- The Library Staff will send the signed Final Approval form to the Office of the Registrar in order for the student to receive credit for the thesis.
- Copies of the Honors Theses will be stored solely in electronic format.