Theology Major Requirements
In very exciting news, we now offer students a theology major and minor with an emphasis in ministry! Check out the specifics here. Remember, all majors are encouraged to double-major but must complete 34 credit hours (11 courses and a Thesis/Research paper) in Theology, distributed as follows:
Click here for 4-year planning tools for developing your double-major. Don't see a double-major yet that you'd like to see setup? Contact Dr. Hall, and he'll set it up with you.
Click here for a downloadable list of Theology Major requirements.
I. Theological Foundations
- Core Requirement: TH 101: Theological Foundations
- 1 Scripture (TH 231: Introduction to the Old Testament or TH 236: Introduction to the New Testament)
- 1 Catholic Fundamentals (TH 201: Church and Worship or TH 220: Fundamentals of Morals or TH 216: Violence and Atonement)
- 1 Catholic Social Teachings (TH 261: Wealth and Poverty or TH 263: Modern Catholic Social Teaching or TH 264: Theologies of Liberation)
- 1 History of Christian Thought (TH 341 or TH 342 or TH 343)
- 1 Systematics (TH 352: Christology or TH 353: Trinity in Christian Life)
- Seminar (TH 495)
- Honor’s Thesis or Research Paper (1 Credit; TH 499 or TH 496)
III. Electives and Ministry Emphasis
- 4 Electives in any area(s) of theology: 12 credits; 9 credits must be taken within the Theology department, namely, with a “TH” prefix
- For the optional Ministry Emphasis, students will need to use 6 elective credits toward the following classes: TH 371: Discerning Ministerial Vocation; TH 425: Ministry Internship; TH 471: Ministry in Action.
IV. Other Requirements
- 1 year language or pertinent intercultural courses in Theology or Philosophy. Approved intercultural courses are as follows: TH 211: Comparative Religion; TH 245: Eastern Christian Traditions; TH 264: Theologies of Liberation; TH 258: Theology and Gender; TH 212: Medieval Women Mystics; PHIL 203: Fundamentals of Islam; PHIL 223: Asian Philosophy; PHIL 261: Philosophy of Gender
V. Additional Advising Notes
- Students may double up on classes to fulfill the Intercultural requirement. For instance, if students take Theologies of Liberation as their 3 credits in Catholic Social Thought, they may use it also as fulfilling their intercultural component.
- 9 of the 12 elective credits must be from within the Theology classes. For instance, students may fulfill 3 credits of the Intercultural requirement through Philosophy while receiving elective credit toward their Theology major. If, for instance, a second course is taken outside the major that counts toward the Intercultural requirement, it will count toward that requirement but not toward the Theology elective.
- Students must choose upfront whether they will fulfill their "Other Requirements" through either Intercultural Component classes or through LANG. If, for instance, the student chooses LANG, the student will be expected to complete the year of LANG. Same with the intercultural track.
- Please also note that the LANG requirement should be fulfilled at the appropriate level. If a student tests out of a first year language, and the student decides to take the language route in Theology, the student must complete the second year of the language.
- The best case scenario for students interested in the ministry option is for them to move through the credits by the end of their junior year. They will then be open to paid internships for their senior year.
- For majors and minors who primarly plan to work in a different field, say clinical psychology, they can use their internship credits in their primary field toward their theology credits so long as they attach the 1-credit Ministering through Professional Vocation (TH 424) to their internship. We are working with speicific departments to develop this option.
- See Department Chair for appropriate course substitutions due to conflict or study abroad.
Theology Minor Requirements
All minors must complete 18 credit hours distributed as follows:
Click here for a downloadable list of Theology minor requirements.
I. Theological Foundations
- Core Requirement: TH 101 Theological Foundations
II. Areas and Electives
- 1 Scripture (TH 231 Introduction to the Old Testament or TH 236 Introduction to the New Testament)
- 4 additional electives
- At least one of these electives must be a 300-400 level Theology course
III. Ministry Option
- For the optional Ministry Emphasis, students will need to use 6 elective credits toward the following classes: TH 371: Discerning Ministerial Vocation; TH 425: Ministry Internship; TH 471: Ministry in Action
See Department Chair for appropriate course substitutions due to conflict or study abroad.