Biology for Secondary Education
The Biology Secondary Education Major is designed for students who seek careers providing personal fulfillment and service to others. Its mission is to prepare graduates who are scientifically literate and who recognize both the practical usefulness and the inherent value of a liberal arts education.
Major Program Requirements
- BI 171-172 Biological Principles I & II
- BI 281 Genetics
Two additional upper division courses from the following list:
- BI 305 Microbiology
- BI 306 Plant Biology
- BI 307 Animal Physiology
- BI 311 Ecology
- BI 315 Physiological Ecology
- BI 323 Comparative Anatomy
- BI 350 Developmental Biology
- BI 370 Evolutionary Biology
- BI 382 Cell Biology
- BI 329 or 330 (WI) Molecular Biology
- CH 353 Biochemistry
Other Program Requirements
- CH 101-102 General Chemistry
- CH 301 Organic Chemistry
or CH 285 Intermediate Organic Chemistry (Students who require only one semester of organic chemistry should enroll in CH 285.)
- MA 315 Probability & Statistics
- MA xxx One additional course in mathematics
- PHIL 252 Philosophy and History of Science
- PHYS xxx One course in physics is recommended
Professional Education Requirements
- AN/SO 218 Introduction to Native American Studies
- CS 103 Instructional Media and Technology
- ED 102 Foundations of Education
- ED/PSY 229 Educational Psychology
- ED 245 Diversity Field Experience
- ED 305 Classroom Management
- ED 318 Content Area Reading and Secondary Methods
- ED 346 Teaching Science in the Secondary School
- ED 405 Education Seminar
- ED 410 Student Teaching
- ED 412 Measurement & Assessment in Teaching
- PSY 228 Adolescent Psychology
or PSY 203 Developmental Psychology
- SPED 300 Introduction to Exceptional Children
- United States and contemporary world cultures course(s)
Acceptance into the Teacher Education Program and Student
Teacher Education Program: Students pursuing academic programs that lead to teacher licensure must seek admission to the teacher education program by the end of their sophomore year.
Student Teaching: In the spring semester of the junior year, all preservice teachers must seek admission to student teaching.
- All Biology for Secondary Education majors must take the following courses, or their equivalent, in sequence - BI 171, BI 172, BI 281.
- All Biology for Secondary Education students must earn a grade of “C” or better in all major courses (sections I and II above) and successfully pass the senior comprehensive examination in biology.
- All Biology for Secondary Education students must meet the following requirements: 1) earn a grade of "C-" or better in all Professional Education Requirements, Major Program Requirements, and Other Program Requirements; 2) earn a minimum 2.5 cumulative grade point average; 3) earn a minimum 2.65 grade point average in Major Program Requirements and in Other Program Requirements; and 4) earn a minimum 2.65 grade point average in Professional Education Requirements.
- See Secondary Education Requirements.