Civil Engineering - Environmental
Civil Engineering - Environmental Emphasis
The environmental engineering option (within the civil engineering major) is designed to produce graduates who are well prepared for professional, technical and scientific, engineering work in environmental clean-up, restoration, protection, and preservation. In addition, this new major will produce graduates who can develop and implement green, sustainable engineering solutions. See the Civil Engineering (Environmental Emphasis) Four Year Course Plan
WHAT CAN YOU DO WITH THIS DEGREE?
A Civil Engineering degree with an Environmental Emphasis from Carroll opens a broad spectrum of career paths. Here are a few of the options you would have upon graduation:
- Become a licensed Professional Engineer-because Carroll's CE degree is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org and meets all of the state Licensing Board requirements.
- Earn an excellent salary working as a civil environmental engineer for a private engineering consulting firm, for a manufacturing or construction firm, or for a government agency.
- Specialize by gaining admission to a graduate school, with a focus on areas like environmental, water resources, and civil engineering, or the growing field of engineering for developing communities.
- Start your own business in consulting and/or construction after you earn your licensed professional engineer credentials.
- Move up to management and executive positions in business or in government.
- Enjoy doing something that has meaning and value: engineers promote good health, safety, the economy, and social stability for people in communities large and small all over the world.
Civil Engineering Program Goals
Consonant with the mission of the college the civil engineering major "is dedicated to providing for its students the means for their full realization of a dual goal of vocation and enlightenment."
To this end the civil engineering major is designed to blend the unique characteristics of Catholic liberal arts education with preparation for productive and rewarding professional careers.
The program educational objectives of the Carroll College Civil Engineering Program are to prepare graduates who will:
- Find employment in their chosen fields and enjoy successful and rewarding professional careers.
- Seek and engage in lifelong learning to grow and develop in their chosen professions.
- Demonstrate leadership, especially through good teamwork and effective communication skills.
- Conduct themselves as ethical and responsible professionals, always mindful of the safety, environmental, economic, public health, and aesthetic impacts of their work.
Student Outcomes for the Civil Engineering Program
to choose carroll college for CIVIL ENGINEERING: ENVIRONMENTAL EMPHASIS
- Tour the sewers of Paris with Dr. Scharf (we also go to the Louvre and the Eiffel Tower).
- Barbecue burgers and brats at the civil engineering lab while testing concrete and asphalt.
- Get into hot water when you study thermodynamics with Dr. Keeffe.
- Provide clean water and sanitation for 250 orphans in Mexico by getting involved with Carroll's student chapter of Engineers Without Borders.
- CNN Money Magazine lists Environmental Engineer as #6 and Civil Engineer as #12 in its list of Best Jobs to Save the World.
- Become an engineer who designs infrastructure to protect and preserve the environment
- Climb volcanoes with Dr. Weight in search of clean water for 500 school kids in Guatemala.
- Wade the Dearborn River with Professor Fischer to catch crawdads and gather stream flow measurements for your hydrology class
- Dance and have fun at the annual Shamrock Soiree fundraiser for Carroll Engineers Without Borders.
- Listen to Professor Mullen teach about how there are three kinds of people in the world - those who can count and those who can't.
Enrollment and Graduation Data
View the Enrollment and Graduation Data for the Civil Engineering major from 2009-14.