Elementary Education Major Requirements
I. Major and Professional Education Program Requirements
- ED 102 Foundations of Education
- ED 212 Teaching Mathematics in the Elementary School
- ED 228 Children’s Literature
- ED/PSY 229 Educational Psychology
- ED 245 Diversity Field Experience
- ED 305 Classroom Management
- ED 312 Elementary Science and Social Studies
- ED 320 Art Education in the Elementary School
- ED 323 Teaching the Communication Arts I
- ED 324 Diagnostic-Based Interventions in Literacy Instruction
- ED 325 Teaching the Communication Arts II
- ED 329 Music Education in the Elementary School
- ED 405 Education Seminar
- ED 410 Student Teaching
- ED 412 Measurement and Assessment in Teaching
- HPE 109 Techniques of Basic Skills in Physical Education
- HPE 314 Physical Education in the Elementary School
- SPED 300 Introduction to Exceptional Children
II. Other Program Requirements
- AN/SO 218 Introduction to Native American Studies
- CS 103 Instructional Media and Technology
- MA 201-202 Mathematics for Elementary Education
- PSY 227 Child Psychology or PSY 105 General Psychology and PSY 203 Developmental Psychology
- One semester of earth science (EAS 101, ES 121 or PHYS 104). Lab is required.
- One semester of life sciences (BI 101 or BI 102). Lab is required.
- One semester of physical sciences (CH 111 or PHYS 103). Lab is required.
- A United States history course
- All degree students should review requirements for graduation as described in this catalog.
- Courses in economics, anthropology, and American national government are highly recommended.
- All elementary education students must meet the following requirements: 1) earn a grade of "C" or better in all Major and Professional Education Requirements and Other Program Requirements, 2) earn a minimum 2.5 cumulative grade point average, and 3) earn a minimum 2.65 grade point average in Major and Professional Education Requirements and Other Program Requirements.
III. Acceptance Into Teacher Education Program
All students in programs that lead to teacher licensure (elementary or secondary education) should review requirements for acceptance into this program