Carroll College, Helena Montana

Current Student Information


In order to obtain a copy of your I-94 card (arrival / departure card), please go to the CBP website and enter the required information:  

MAINTAINING F1 or J1 status

As an international student, we want you to reap the rewards that come with studying in the US.  Please know that we are here to answer your questions.  This handout serves to remind you of your rights and responsibilities as an F1 or J1 student living in the US.


International students are allowed to work on campus for up to 20 hours during the academic year and up to 40 hours during the breaks (fall, spring, winter and summer).  Before you can work on campus, you must secure a job offer and submit the  on campus work permission form to the international office. This allows us to assist you in obtaining a tax ID/social security number. No social security number can be issued without a job offer.


Students who have been in lawful status for 12 months may apply to work off campus.  Off campus work permission is very difficult to obtain and, if denied, you do not get your money back.

Students who are planning to graduate should consider the F1 student benefit of Optional Practical Training, which is granted for 12  months and, in the STEM fields, 18 months. 

For any off campus work permission, including OPT, please complete  this form and then make an appointment with the international office so that we can assist you in the next step.


Visas can expire while you are a student in good standing.  Visas do not have to remain current for you to maintain lawful status. However, your F1 or J1 visa MUST be valid for re-entry into the US.  If you plan to travel outside of the US and your visa has expired, you must apply for a new one at the nearest US embassy or consulate in the country you are visiting.  Please complete the visa renewal letter request form   and drop it off in the international office. Please allow one week for your request to be processed.