Carroll College, Helena Montana

Emergency Plan

International Incident Reporting

Any Carroll College traveler who experiences or witnesses a serious medical or safety incident while abroad should report the event to help Carroll College support the safety and security of the community.

When should I file an incident report?

After all urgent issues are addressed and preferably within 72 hours of the event, please report the incident to Carroll College. Reportable incidents include illnesses and injuries (needing a health care professional), accidents, crimes of all kinds, missing persons, harassment, property damage, and incidents that forced a significant itinerary change.

How do I report an incident?

Complete the following incident report:

Send an email to Maureen Ward at with the subject line "Incident Report" and as much of the following information as possible in the body of the email. If you do not have access to email, you may report an incident by calling 1.406.459.4374.

  1. WHO

    1. Individuals or groups involved in the incident.
    2. What is the individual’s or group’s Carroll College affiliation?
    3. Are the involved parties participating in a specific Carroll College program?
  2. WHAT

    1. Description of what happened.
    2. Was it a medical or security incident, or both?
    3. Were there any factors that contributed to the incident (alcohol, weather, etc.)?
  3. WHEN

    1. Date and time of the incident.
    2. What was the activity at the time of the incident (e.g. field trip, free time, research, etc.)?
  4. WHERE

    1. address where the incident occurred (be as specific as possible).
    2. Any relevant context about the location (e.g. in front of student’s lodging, on street frequently traveled by students, etc.)

    1. What action was taken at the time (e.g. sought medical attention, called the police, etc.)?
    2. What action still needs to be taken (e.g. counseling for victim, replacing a stolen passport, etc.)?
    3. Lessons that might help others prevent incident in the future (e.g. locking doors, hiding money, identifying a different housing option, etc.).

    1. Contact information for individual reporting incident
    2. Contact information (if possible) for those involved in the incident
    3. May we contact you with questions or to request additional information?

How will this information be used?

Incident reports will be used by Carroll College to monitor the safety and security of CC travelers, and to help us prepare and advise future travelers. Collective data and trends may be published, but individual incident reports, including the names of those involved in or reporting an incident, are treated as confidential and shared only on a need-to-know basisNew Content

Emergency Wallet Card

It is important for the group leader and participants to have emergency contact information with them at all times while traveling. The emergency wallet template can be used to create a card specific to your program.

Emergency Wallet coming soon