Carroll College, Helena Montana



PELL ELIGIBLE?  Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program
Awards of up to $5000 to support U.S. citizen undergraduates receiving federal Pell Grant funding for study abroad.  Students studying a Critical Need Language may receive a $3000 supplement for a total possible award of $8000. 

Telephone: 713-621-6300 ext 25
Deadline: Annually in March & September
Sponsor: U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs

Study Abroad Funding The online search engine at allows students and advisers to search by country or subject to find study abroad grants and scholarships.

Boren Scholarships & Fellowships
Funding from the National Security Education Program (NSEP) supports U.S. undergraduate and graduate students to study less commonly taught languages in world regions critical to U.S. interests. Up to $20,000 for undergraduates and $30,000 for graduate students depending on cost and length of program.

Website: ║ Carroll Deadline: January 10 to meet the NSEP deadline of early February ║ Sponsor: National Security Education Program (NSEP)

Global Engineering Education Exchange Program (Global E³)

Global E³ is a study abroad exchange opportunity for undergraduate (and some graduate) engineering students to be exchanged between top U.S. and international engineering programs. Website: ║ Deadlines: First Monday in October (for Spring), first Monday in March (for Fall/Academic year)

Whitaker International Fellows & Scholars Program-Resarch abroad!

Biomedical engineering scholarships for graduating seniors up to post-docs.  The award covers travel, living expenses and tuition (partial or full, depending upon the host university).  Website:  ║ Deadline:  3rd Monday in January  

The Benjamin Franklin Travel Grant

The grant targets outstanding Sophomore, Junior & Senior students who have a specific acadmic or professional project that they want to accomplish in France (studies, internship, specific visits...) and who are enrolled in an American university in a double major including one major in French. 





 Below you will find a brief description of the scholarships to be awarded, as well as a list of requirements for student applicants. For more information regarding ISA scholarships or to download the scholarship application, please visit the ISA website at

The Dr. Carlos E. Castañeda Memorial Scholarship

  • 10 x $2000 Fall Study
  • 10 x $2000 Winter/Spring Study
  • 2 x $2500 Academic Year Study

The Michaela Farnum Memorial Scholarship

  • 5 x $1000 Semester Study

ISA Diversity Scholarships

  • 2 x $1,000 for Summer Study

  • 2 x $2,000 for Fall Study

  • 2 x $2,000 for Winter/Spring Study

See below for the requirements for these scholarships and/or DOWNLOAD: Application Form (PDF).

  • Summer: February 28th
  • Fall/Academic Year April 30th
  • Winter/Spring October 30th



Are you a Montanan curious about the rest of the world? For instance, did you know that…

  • …India has a bill of rights for cows?
  • …about 5,000 languages are currently spoken in the world; 800 of them are spoken in Papua New Guinea?
  • …Uzbekistan and Liechtenstein are the only two double-landlocked countries?
  • …passports were not widely required until the 1900s?
  • …73% of the world’s beer is consumed in China?
  • …the top ten tourist destinations account for half of all tourist arrivals worldwide? They are: France, Spain, Italy, the UK, Austria, Germany, China, Canada, Mexico, and the USA.
  • …in Latin American countries, it’s TUESDAY the 13th that is unlucky, not Friday? In Romania, however, BOTH are unlucky.

At Going-to-the-Sun Travel Grants, we are dedicated to supporting young Montanans as they explore the world. If you are between the ages of 18 and 25 and any of the above intrigued you, a Going-to-the-Sun Travel Grant may be for you. An annual grant of up to $5,000 goes to an individual who presents the most compelling project or trip outline. Although a self-designed tour is the ultimate way to explore, the grant can also be used for organized endeavors such as language courses, volunteer trips, or research excursions.


All of our affiliates offer additional scholarships to Carroll students.  In addition, there are many other scholarships available to study abroad students. The deadlines are often very early. Plan ahead! This is a partial list. You'll need to continue the research on your own.

These scholarships are administered by various organizations. Eligibility and deadlines may vary.

DAAD (for study in Germany)
Bridging Scholarship (for study abroad in Japan)

Rotary Scholarship - contact your local Rotary Club for application details

Institute of International Education (has a number of resources for students)
Phi Kappa Phi
(all countries )

Whitaker Organization for Biomedical Engineering
-- The John and Catherine MacArthur Foundation
-- National Science Foundation
-- Centre for International Mobility--research and study in Finland
--United Kingdom The American Scandinavian Foundation-Scandinavia  Go Overseas!  Study Abroad



Carroll allows federal financial aid to be used on all approved reciprocal exchange programs and affiliate programs.  Students who choose to participate in a non-approved program will not be allowed to transfer their federal aid.  All students must be enrolled in and complete a minimum of 12 credits per semester while studying abroad, especially if they are receiving federal financial aid.  If you fail to maintian full-time status while abroad, you may have to return the federal aid you received from Carroll and you will be billed for these funds.

Summer aid is normally not available, but be sure to check with the financial aid office.  In order to receive aid for summer you must be enrolled full-time which is generally 6 credits.


Thinking of research abroad?  Studying a critical language such as Arabic or Mandarin?  Want to be an English language teaching assistant?  Then Fulbright might be for you!  To learn more about one of the most prestigious international awards, please see: